Do you get drunker from homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi my fellow HBT'ers. I've noticed (I don't know if it is placebo) but my homebrewn (or fermented if you wish) concoctions, I usually do wine, seem to go straight to my head. Much faster than most commercially bought wines. Do you have a similar experience? Almost before I know it I'll be flying out of my trolley and cutting my hair with some sandpaper. Or is it all me?

I guess it depends on a lot of things, including the abv and the money you save on HB. I drink less commercial stuff in a session because of money/guilt.

Mine definitley has more punch than bmc, but I keep my abv around 6.5. I'll have to say though, craft beer can kick your a$$ just as much or more than a good home brew. I had a friend drop in with some Sierra Torpedos not long ago and they sunk my battleship.

all in all, it is the alcohol content and your personal metabolism. Craft beers and home brews are usually much closer in ABV, and often twice that of say, bud light, so yes, either (craft or homebrew) will usually result in higher levels of intoxication with the same number of bottles.

comparing to wines, you have to look at alcohol content again - a 10% wine, drunk in a 4 ounce serving is a bit less than a 6.5% beer in a 12 ounce serving. And are you knocking back 4 glasses of wine like you're knocking back 4 beers? - most folks sip a glass or two of wine...so mathematically....

Years ago when I drank my HB in quantity, it had a kick but I realized I never got a hangover and then read somewhere that the vitamin B in the yeast sediment helped to stop dehydration and eased the hangover.
Don't know if it's scientific or not but it worked for me and my buddies. Now, I don't drink as much at one time but I do have some brews that are more potent than others.

427-505-large.jpg
Years ago when I drank my HB in quantity, it had a kick but I realized I never got a hangover and then read somewhere that the vitamin B in the yeast sediment helped to stop dehydration and eased the hangover.
Don't know if it's scientific or not but it worked for me and my buddies. Now, I don't drink as much at one time but I do have some brews that are more potent than others.

I think a lot of it also has to do with the state of mind you are in. For example if I do not feel like drinking and just keeping my buds company I notice it takes a long time to get a buzz going on. But if I want to drink and I am in the mood for a good time, I notice I pay more attention to the effects of alcohol and I feel it a lot faster.

When it comes to homebrew, you made it yourself and you anaylyze everything in it. So I am sure it is also a mental thing.

Im drinking a copper ipa i made, it's 8.3%, had several while shooting pool. definitely feeling it. Now if i had drank as many DFH 120 min's then I would be 52% more buzzed if my drunken calcs are correct. On the other side, if rockin BMC I'd be about half as buzzed as I am currently. So...sometimes. also, Ive learned not to jack with trolleys or sandpaper when Ive had a few.

Homebrew to me seems more potent than commercial beer, which for me is usually Guinness. Whether that's 4.2% vs the average 5.5% of my brew, or some other effect, I'm not sure. I have a friend who swears he nearly blacks out after 4 of my brews, and is fine after much more normal brew. He swears it's because homebrew is more natural, so the body knows what to do with the alcohol more quickly.

I have no idea...

If you've spent your "drinking life" consuming bud light at 4.2% abv.....or any commercial macro beer in a similar range the homebrew we make which tends to average around, what, 6% is going to keep you in the teeth a bit. You'll get used to it.:mug:

Back