Measuring Infusion Mash Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I just converted from an old rectangular cooler to a new cylindrical drink cooler for infusion mashing/batch sparging. The rectangular cooler had a big open top = rapid cooling if one stirs too long with small grain bills (plus it was falling apart)

I always did temperature measurements by inserting the probe directly into the mash at multiple locations. But now that I have a new cooler....

So the question is, how do you take your temperature measurements for infusion mashing/sparging and why?

A. Insert a hand held probe directly into the mash,
B. Permanent probe through the side of the cooler,
C. Permanent probe through the cooler lid, or
D. ????

Also, for those that have permanent probes through the side, do you use a thermowell or just send it through a stopper? Is stirring an issue?

Rich

I insert a handheld digital thermometer into the mash and move it around in a stirring motion so I'm not just taking the temp from one spot. I also stir thoroughly at mash in before taking a reading.

I insert a handheld digital thermometer into the mash and move it around in a stirring motion so I'm not just taking the temp from one spot. I also stir thoroughly at mash in before taking a reading.
Exactly what I've been doing.

ditto

Latest posts

Back