polishing your cornie!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ya let the ideas fly!!! I have spent the day polishing a cornia keg. was wondering if anyone knew of a QUICK way to do this. This is what I did and took about an hour or so to do 1 keg I have over 20 to do. ya ya ya I know get your a$$ to work and get off the computer! I know! I used a orbital and 120 grit then 220 grit then a vibratory 1/4 sheet w/ 600 grit then by hand w/1500 grit looks.... just ok. Better I must say but not mirror like I want, any suggestions??
JJ

i have learned this from working on gelcoat on boats you should start with the finest grit possible for example 1500 and then move to 2000 or similar because most of the stuff you see on the surface does not neet 220 or 320 to get the marking out just something to clean it up. Granted these grits wont give you a mirror finish but you could easily polish them to a mirror finish after using grits like this using something like polising compound with a applicable pad for your random orbital sander.

First, barkeepers friend, hot water, and a scotchbrite pad. That gets all the grime off the metal because it will just clog your sandpaper. Then I wet sand with 400, then 800. At that point I call it done because they're not up in a display case. If you want to take it further, hit it with polishing compound and then carnuba cleaner wax. Yeah, just like a car.

Back