Perfect Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo boo

Reaction score
Just found a bottle of stout I had stashed away from a brew I kegged in January.

I couldn't get over how good it was. After some searching I found the recipie and saw that I had the same brew in my kegerator. Tried one from the tap after I finished the bottled version off. Same great flavor. All the harshness of the roast grains have mellowed out. I usually drink my stouts long before this time so this one has aged for a few months.

I did use a US-56 dry yeast this time. Wonder if that made the difference?
It also was more balanced IBU wise.

I recently learned that you can't rush a stout or porter. I have 2 more chocolate stouts that just got great recently. DOH!

One of the guys at my HBS said he found some he had brewed a couple years before. He said he was real leary of drinking it, but when he did it was awesome I guess.

My stout(1st one ive made) has aged for like 5 weeks so far I think and gets better every time I drink it. It is also very potent at 6.7% I got a buddy good and drunk off it last night!

Not long ago, I found a single unmarked dusty old bottle of stout in my basement that had to have been 20 years old, maybe more. It gets my vote as the best beer that I have ever tasted! Wish I had more. Maybe next time, I'll lose a case for a couple o' decades.

Yeah, stouts are hardy enough for long aging. I have one that's about 1.5 years old. I had the second to last about 3 months ago and it was wonderful.

Alemental said:
Not long ago, I found a single unmarked dusty old bottle of stout in my basement that had to have been 20 years old, maybe more. It gets my vote as the best beer that I have ever tasted! Wish I had more. Maybe next time, I'll lose a case for a couple o' decades.

DAMN! Was it high gravity?

boo boo said:
...After some searching I found the recipie and saw that I had the same brew in my kegerator....
Sheesh. I need your kegerator. How big a kegerator do ya have to have to not realize you have a stout on tap?

I'm comin to your house to help you take inventory....:D

BierMuncher said:
Sheesh. I need your kegerator. How big a kegerator do ya have to have to not realize you have a stout on tap?

I'm comin to your house to help you take inventory....:D

That was the first thing that popped into my head! I think he needs better inventory control. Ha!

just finished my stout. I keged it 4 17 05 It was my first attempt at a build your own recipe from the style guidlines... Ya buddy thank goodness for notes OG1.086

JJ

Back