making mead with dark honey...dark like molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wworker

Reaction score
So I have some honey that looks like black coffee in a jar. Deep red tint when held to a bright light. Sweet as can be and smells great. It is good honey....just really really dark.

Anything I should know or keep in mind going into it? Any particular recipes or yeasts that work better?

Thanks.

It sounds like buckwheat honey to me. If you make something with fruit or other flavours, the flavour from the honey will dominate, since dark honeys are very flavourful. If making a melomel I usually prefer to use a lighter honey.

Can you make mead from molasses? Can you make 'something' from molasses.
I live in the heart of sugarcane country, and would like to do something 'local'

I live in the heart of sugarcane country, and would like to do something 'local'

It has a mighty strong flavour that would definitely overpower a mead, but I've used a small amount of blackstrap in an ale once with good effect. Maybe use a tiny amount of it in a dark braggot or something.

I´ve asked about molasses cause I love the taste of it. I use molasses in Stout/Porters, in the last 5" of the boiling.

Back