Hey Texans!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAleMaster

Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting the in-laws who live just north of Houston in the Woodlands. Any of these breweries any good?

• St. Arnold Brewing Company
  • BJ's Restaurant and Brewery
  • Two Rows Restaurant and Brewpub

Any others?

What about microbrews in grocery stores that generally don't sell outside of Texas?

I'm in Austin, a few hours from Houston, so I'm not familiar with Two Rows, but ...

We get a few varieties of St. Arnold in bottles out here, and what I've tasted (a lager and an American-style bock IIRC) were pretty decent. They're a good quality regional craft-brew operation with a lot of different variety; you're sure to find something you like.

BJ's is a national chain that contracts with local microbreweries to make beers from the BJ's recipes. The food's pretty good, and the beers make a trip there worthwhile. I'm a fan of their desserts - the "pizookie" (giant chocolate chip cookie with ice cream on top) goes down really well with their house stout.

Also, FYI, here in TX, BJ's beers are contract-brewed by St. Arnold. So you will probably try their stuff one way or another. :D

Good to know. Thanks!

I have never even heard of BJ's. Appears we have a couple in Washington. I wonder who brews for them here?

Sorry Number_18, I just noticed the second part of your question ... as for other local brews, I highly recommend Real Ale - which is brewed in Blanco (between Austin and San Antonio) but should be available in Houston too, on draft if not in bottles.

They have a brilliant seasonal coffee porter out right now. Or if you prefer lighter stuff, they have a really nice pale rye ale offered year-round.

Don't bother with Two Rows. I've there a couple of times, all big disappointments. BJs is pretty solid. St. Arnolds is spectacular, especially if you do the tour on Saturday.

southern star is on tap at mollys pub in the woodlands and cjs grill both are off of sawdust rd. try their pine belt as well as their burried hatchet also try saint arnolds ellisa and saint arnolds christmas ale. all four of which are on tap at mollys

southern star is on tap at mollys pub in the woodlands and cjs grill both are off of sawdust rd. try their pine belt as well as their burried hatchet also try saint arnolds ellisa and saint arnolds christmas ale. all four of which are on tap at mollys
southern star is a new brewery, I think about a year or so...I tried the Bombshell Blonde, it is outstanding.

Don't bother with Two Rows. I've there a couple of times, all big disappointments. BJs is pretty solid. St. Arnolds is spectacular, especially if you do the tour on Saturday.

Agreed. Two Rows has gone down the tubes the past couple of years, not worth the drive and I live 6 miles away!

I'm not a tremendous fan of BJ's, but they are brewed out of rented space at St. Arnold's, so you can hit both at the same time.

Shiner would be a bit of a drive, but it's out there, too. It's about a 15 minute tour where you basically just watch them bottle beer. You don't get to chat with anybody but the tour guide and the gift shop folks. They do give you free samples, which now is a great time to get the Shiner Cheer on tap there, and they may still have some of the illusive kolsch on tap. I believe there's only one place to drink in all of Shiner, and it's at an antique store. Really weird; but the gal that works there is very nice.

I'm not a tremendous fan of BJ's, but they are brewed out of rented space at St. Arnold's, so you can hit both at the same time.

Shiner would be a bit of a drive, but it's out there, too. It's about a 15 minute tour where you basically just watch them bottle beer. You don't get to chat with anybody but the tour guide and the gift shop folks. They do give you free samples, which now is a great time to get the Shiner Cheer on tap there, and they may still have some of the illusive kolsch on tap. I believe there's only one place to drink in all of Shiner, and it's at an antique store. Really weird; but the gal that works there is very nice.

+1 for Shiner

I love Shiner, and Shiner TX. The Family Pack of Shiner has the Kolsch in it, and last time I was in Shiner the did not have it on tap, but that was 6 months ago.

St. Arnold's actually moved locations into a much larger and nicer brewery. Unfortunately, I don't think they have the correct permits, so the tours are not going on yet. But if you do get a chance to go, I highly recommend it! Good beer and good times.

St. Arnold does brew BJ's beers, but AFAIK you can only get them at BJ's, and I don't think BJ's carries all the St. Arnold beers.

But I would definitely recommend the Flying Saucer or a trip to Spec's to try all the local Texas brews (Southern Star Bombshell Blonde is a favorite as well as St. Arnold's Elissa IPA).

Yep, Saint Arnold does not have their tour going on right now, due to some marvelous red tape. Southern Star does have their tour going on, though. Check it out.

Paul the Nurse and I hung out at Tailgators when he was down here. Their beer selection is nothing to cheer about, but the food wasn't bad at all, and there are TVs everywhere for good game watching. They had Guinness, which we enjoyed plenty of.

You can find Saint Arnold and Southern Star beer in many grocery stores around and in all Spec's stores. Grab some of the Saint Arnold Christmas, if you can find it.

TL

Yep, Saint Arnold does not have their tour going on right now, due to some marvelous red tape. Southern Star does have their tour going on, though. Check it out.
When is St Arnold going to open up for tours? Soon? I have been trying to find a Saturday to break free and go to Houston and see the sites, then take the wife to the mall.

saint arnolds has no date when they can tour again.. they are waiting on city fire code permits.. you can imagine how that is.

to summarize the thread:
Southern Star brewery in conroe. available on tap at some bars, bottles in most specs and super krogers/heb's.

Flying saucer, national chain, downtown houston, 150+ beers on tap.

BJ's brewery, national chain, 3 in houston, awesome brews, great food. Go on tues 4-7 for $2 pints, or any day 4-7 for half price mini pizzas

Real Ale, in blanco, tx. available at most stores, some bars.

Shiner, TX. available almost everywhere.

Live Oak brewery, near austin, available on draft at some pubs, and probably flying saucer

Draught House in austin, lots of beers on tap, and some home brews.

Saint arnolds brews all of BJ's beer in texas, because of finicky texas liquor laws. A BJ's in any other state is likely able to brew on site.

Don't make the drive to Shiner just to see the brewery. The money you spend on gas, you can pick up a 6er or two at the HEB's there. But if you go to San Antonio it's only like 30 minutes out of the way. If you make it to SA though try the Freetail Brewery. It's a brewpub, and they are doing some interesting things there.

Yeah, we found out that St. Arnold's wasn't available for touring, but hit up Southern Star's "tour" on Saturday. It was awesome. The owners were there and available for chatting and the beer was fantastic - my favorite I have tasted outside of the Northwest.

Thanks for all the advice!

You may want to check out Karbach Brewing Co. They're small but growing fast and have some intersting beers; only available in the Houston, Galvaston, and College Station areas.

Back