Pomegranate Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknunns

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried something like this out? Does it exist?

I modified EdWort's apfelwein recipe and tried pitching 2 cups of sugar and some montrachet into 3 quarts of POM. It's been bubbling away happily for about a week now.

Am I insane or could this be decent?

It will be insanely tart. If you stabilize and backsweeten, it might be tolerable.

as my first brew as an experiement i did a 50/50 black cherry juice and Pomegranate juice. i just used normal bread yeast from the store and fermented it in a 1 gallon jug with a home made airlock. granted i dont have a hygrometer or anything else so this was just a test. I let it sit for two weeks until there was no more activity then bottled it. I added some sugar at bottling but did different amounts in each bottle to try and figure out what works. they are still aging but it was drinkable at bottling they are getting a lot better as it sits. not perfect but as a first brew while i am waiting to get my first kit it helped me understand the process more and further undertsand sanitizing, i only used bleach.

hope that helps i can take a picture of it if you like to see the finished product.

Can you expound on these? I'm a beer nut, not a wino. :eek:
The tart part or the stabilize and backsweeten part?
I'm sure you can figure out tartness, so for stabilizing what will need to happen is you add Campden (Potassium Metabasulfate) and Potassium Sorbate after fermentation is complete to prevent further fermentation, and then sweeten to taste.

The tart part or the stabilize and backsweeten part?
I'm sure you can figure out tartness, so for stabilizing what will need to happen is you add Campden (Potassium Metabasulfate) and Potassium Sorbate after fermentation is complete to prevent further fermentation, and then sweeten to taste.

Thanks for the reply Confucius. I did a bunch of googling after your first reply and figured some of that stuff out. I'd not heard of Campden tablets before. Does one have to use both Campden AND Potassium Sorbate in order to nuke the yeast? Are just the CTs sufficient?

Neither will actually kill the yeast, but Potassium Sorbate will stop it from reproducing. It works quite a bit better with Sulfites present though, so both should be added.

I recently bottled some Apfelwein that I added 1 gallon of Pomegranate Blueberry Juice to. It was 1 gallon PomBlueberry + 4 gallons Apple Juice and the standard recipe. When we tasted it at bottling it was SUPER tart. I did 10 wine bottles still and the other 3 gallons carbonated. Unfortunately I didn't taste it until I was bottling the carbed ones and realized it was so tart. I added some lactose to sweeten it and hopefully take away some of the tartness but who knows what it will do.

Back