Too long in primary I guess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nulty

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post,

I have fresh pressed cider in primary but I'm pretty sure I'v completely messed it up. It's been there since November. Having read a few posts on the site I've realised that it only needs a month or so in Primary. I'ts still cloudy and smell none too good.

Give it to me straight...have I messed it up??:confused:

Ciders can make some major odors and they may not clear. I'd draw a sample, let it air for 10-15 minutes and taste it.

It will:

A. Tastes and smells like cider. Bottle it.
B. Tastes and smells like vinegar. Bottle it and give it to friends who cook.
C. Smells like sewage. You've got autolyse and there's no way to fix it.

Boys you got it in one. I dont like the smell and I tasted it along with my bro (second opinion). I think its vinegar at this stage. I've got about 4 litres, whats good to cook with cider vinegar???

hi poobah,

I posted an image (link) of the lid I used. I didnt use an airlock, just the lid. I dont know what the spouts are for...

If you used that on a carboy, I would think it would blow off when CO2 is produced. Either way, looks like it could lead to an oxygenating problem or even an infection...

Nulty - I hate to say it but if its been this long and it taste bad, its bad.
As for using it to cook, anything that calls for vinegar, you got lots of it. Add a bunch of salt and you got a heck of a brine, as long as the aftertaste is not horrid.
You may want to look at:
1) getting a basic air lock, or setting up a blow off tube that connects to that carboy lid.
That is just a lid, make certain it fits tightly on the carboy, and then either get an airlock or a tube that fits on the big connection out and lead it to a pitcher with sanitizer in it, diluted bleach water would work.
2) CLEAN AND SANITIZE EVERYTHING, you just made vinegar and it likes to hang around.
3) Get a good yeast starter, and airate well so it can take off and overpower any other nasties in your juice/cider.
Best of luck.

Note to self, I need to brew more to get Poobah58 stash, man that is a long list.

Back