Trying to make a recipe with left over specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staleb

Reaction score
I have some left over specialty grains from last week that I don't want to let go to waste. I was looking for some recipe suggestions. I've been brewing 5 gallon all grain batches. I have to ferment at room temp which is in the low 70's and I'll be out of town for about a month so this brew will sit in the secondary for a while after a week in the primary.

I have:

.5 crystal 20L
.75 cara munich
.75 aromatic belgian

I pretty much have to buy my ingredients by the pound so would like to have round numbers. I was thinking saison or ipa but am open to any suggestions. I also have about .75 oz of fuggles pellets left over.

These both sound like great ideas, I think I'm leaning towards the pale ale. I don't need to use all the aromatic, I just wanted to use a good portion of all those left over grains.

Looks like I'll grab a couple pounds of pils and some hops!

After a delivery from my LHBS I have the following:

10 lbs german pils malt
2 lbs candi sugar
1 lb Light DME (for starters etc)
.5 crystal 20L
.75 cara munich
.75 aromatic belgian

2 oz fuggles whole hops
.75 fuggles pellets
2 oz styrian goldings pellets

Wyeast Forbidden Fruit 3463 (no WLP570)

So my plan is to make a strong/pale ale:

I was thinking of using for my 5 gal batch:

10 lbs german pils malt
2 lbs candi sugar
.5 crystal 20L
.75 cara munich
.5 aromatic belgian

I wonder if there is any reason this might not be a good combo of ingredients.

As for hopping I'm really not sure of what would be a good hopping schedule. I have some an IPA in a secondary that I was thinking about dry hopping with some of the fuggles so its not imperative that I use all of them for the recipe im tweaking now but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

i like the saison idea. throw all those grains in with some pilsner malt, toss in some bitter orange peel and ginger with 5 minutes left on the boil and ferment with a saison yeast. put an electric blanket on the carboy if you need to. sounds good to me!

Back