Am I the only one who doesn't like Blue Moon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
Like most of the Coors lineup, I really don't like Blue Moon. All of my friends love it and praise its "microbrewery-style". What do you think about it?

I have to agree with EdWort on this one. In the hierarchy for me, Blue Moon rates higher than Bud or Natty Light. Of course, at that level Michelobs Amber Bock would definitely get pulled instead.

Look at as positive steps though. I was out in a group last night where several Blue Moons were taken which might indicate those people can be pulled to the light (of better beer). Give it time. Encourage the drinking and gradually transition to other wheats for them. Maybe eventually they'll drink something everyone can enjoy.

You don't have to like Blue Moon. Everything will be ok.

I like Blue Moon because a lot of people like Blue Moon so they buy clone kits.

+1 for not liking Blue Moon. I don't love the Honey Moon, but it is much better/drinkable than Blue Moon. Too bad its only seasonal...

Trash. Utter trash. I hate the stuff. I'd rather have whatever BMC lager is on tap.

I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but long ago, when I was a kid, there were these little things that you'd put in your lunch for snacks or desserts called Gummy Sharks. Essentially just mildly sweet gummy candies shaped like sharks, and they were all pretty small and translucent. All except the Great Whites. They were much bigger than the rest of them, and you'd get 1 or 2 per snack pack. They were opaque white and flavored with something. Anyway, this is exactly what Blue Moon tastes like. Gummy sharks.

FAIL!

I used to like blue moon untill i has a real witbier. After i had a real one i havnt been able to drink one since just because i dont like witbiers the spice is just too mch for me.

I don't like any beers with "flavors" in it, so I don't like Blue Moon at all. I don't like any fruit beers or beers with coriander or other stuff either, though, so it's not just Blue Moon. I like my beer to be just beer. Nothing else added to it!

J'Accuse! I cannot even remember what something I ate last week actually tastes like. You are just trying to make cool retro references to cover your seething hatred of Blue Moon.

Well I can do that too. My beer tastes like Sizzlean!

Evan! said:
Trash. Utter trash. I hate the stuff. I'd rather have whatever BMC lager is on tap.

I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but long ago, when I was a kid, there were these little things that you'd put in your lunch for snacks or desserts called Gummy Sharks. Essentially just mildly sweet gummy candies shaped like sharks, and they were all pretty small and translucent. All except the Great Whites. They were much bigger than the rest of them, and you'd get 1 or 2 per snack pack. They were opaque white and flavored with something. Anyway, this is exactly what Blue Moon tastes like. Gummy sharks.

FAIL!

Almost everytime I talk beer at school (in one of my classes or especially in all the group projects I'm in) people bring up blue moon.

I think it's a good thing, it's not the greatest beer but it's different and a step in the right direction. I always tell these people to try a Hoegaarden in the hopes they'll branch out.

Also, I like blue moon better than the other "_______ moon" beers. The lime one didn't taste like anything

YooperBrew said:
I don't like any beers with "flavors" in it, so I don't like Blue Moon at all. I don't like any fruit beers or beers with coriander or other stuff either, though, so it's not just Blue Moon. I like my beer to be just beer. Nothing else added to it!

Yoops, my friend, you are a Reinheitsgebot Gal through and through!

You go girl! :mug:

YooperBrew said:

I agree. Don't like anything in my coffee either.

It's sold as 'Rickards White' up here and I have to say I don't mind it on a hot summers day. The restaurant closest to my office has a patio and it's nice to have lunch out there on a workday and enjoy a pint of that.

The first time they brought it to me it had a big piece of orange in it. It was better after that when I knew to ask for it without the fruit.

Blue Moon isn't bad. Though, every time I have it, my opinion becomes a bit less enthusiastic. It's introducing the masses to beer that isn't macro-lager, so for that, I applaud it. I wish it were brewed by a smaller brewery.

Hoegaarden is far better, and I like to bring it to parties since it's usually well-received by the bland American palate.

I'll try the Honey Moon next time I see it.

I don't like it either. Witbier is the one Belgian style I don't care for. I don't like coriander because it's offspring (cilantro) makes food taste like dishwater to me. I'm a malt-hops-yeast-water kind of person too, but I wouldn't turn down other Belgian styles with spices or fruit(lambic).

it's not really true to style but it's readily available at most the stores around here so i'll buy a case sometimes if i'm heading to a party.

i like it well enough...it just tastes bland and kinda, what, salty? a lot of people drink it with orange slices. meh.

the bartenders at the places i go to know not to put any fruit in my beer ;)

It seems fashionable in this country to be critical of large and successful companies. Anyway, it seems that judges from 21 countries at the 2008 World Beer Cup like Blue Moon well enough to award it the Brewers Association World Beer Cup 2008 Champion Brewery Large Brewing Company.

I am not a huge fan.

Though, lots of folks that would normally define beer as macro-lagers dig it and introducing folks to something outside of that bubble is a good thing in my book, orange slice or not ;)

I don't like Blue Moon. But then again, I usually don't like wheat beers.

"Brewers Association World Beer Cup 2008 Champion Brewery Large Brewing Company"

wow. quite an award. so...who were they competing against? what size does the company have to be?

looking at the website...kinda weird they put the cream ale in with the lagers. tons of categories. that'll be a good read later.

Here's a list of the 645 breweries that entered this year. All the usual large breweries from the US seem to have entered and several took medals. I don't know how they categorize a "large brewery" and I have no way of telling how many non-US breweries would fit that category. The list is very interesting and apparently Japan took twice as many medals as the UK and nearly as many as Belgium.

summersolstice said:
It seems fashionable in this country to be critical of large and successful companies. Anyway, it seems that judges from 21 countries at the 2008 World Beer Cup like Blue Moon well enough to award it the Brewers Association World Beer Cup 2008 Champion Brewery Large Brewing Company.

Yeah but, I think some of those winners must have had little competition in a category when you look at some of the beers that did win :D.

Blue Moon, I'll leave it. Had it twice on tap, and imho it is extremely nondescript. I'd rather have the Campaign (yes I know it's misspelled) of Beers.

Back