Belgian Dark Strong Ale Belgian Dark Strong (Gulden Draak Clone-ish)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerapinChef

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Cultured Gulden Draak
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
WLP 530
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 - 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Till it\'s Ready - 60
Tasting Notes
It\'s tasty!
10 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 53.09%
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 24.69%
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.94 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.7%
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM) Grain 1.23%
4.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 1.23%
4.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 1.23%
1 lbs 4.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 6.17%
12.0 oz Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 3.70 %

1 oz First Gold - First Wort Hops
1 oz Fuggles - 30 min
1 oz Fuggles - Dry Hop 7 days

75 minute mash @ 152

My Gulden Draak culture booted up in the starter flask but never activated in the wort, so after 8 days of no activity I kicked in a small starter of the abbey ale yeast.

DSC_0278.jpg

Watch out, this one is pretty energetic!;)

Blew off the top with blow-off hose and sprayed goo all over the closet. To the drycleaners!

I just enjoyed my first Gulden Draak last week, and was impressed. I'm a noob, and I've been concentrating on getting a saison right, but think I got pretty close with my last rendition of Shipwrecked Saison. This looks like a worthy step up to something stronger....

I already have the grain bill and hops for my next saison. But I think I'll try this recipe after that, using the Danstar Belle Saison yeast I already have on hand.

But I'm going to have to upgrade my mash tun. The one I use now was made from a '20 qt' cooler that really only holds 16 qts. And while it has served faithfully and well, looks like it's time for an upgrade in size.

Which I happen to have, by the way. You don't hang out outdoors in Southern California, without accumulating ice chests in various sizes....

It's just a matter of drilling a hole in the side for the spigot, and transferring my copper manifold. Yes, the new one could hold a larger manifold. But I doubt it's worth building one, because I batch sparge anyway.

Back