Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remmey what is your recipe??? I have been searching for a good salsa verde recipe for a while now.

This one is very easy and very edible. I've made it many times. I add some jalapeno to make it a bit hot... otherwise it's not hot at all.

tomatillo_salso.jpg

Grimster said:
I got tired of the constant temperature battle several years ago and bought one of those digital controlled electric smokers from Lowes (about $300) and the quality of what I was able to smoke went up exponentially. It felt like cheating.

Same here. I have a drafty charcoal grill/smoker and it was difficult to keep temps since the hardwood would tend to catch fire here and there, causing me to watch it for the duration of the smoke. After that it was fine. I've had a Bradley electric smoker for the past 2 years and I love the consistent heat and smoke. It's nice loading it up before bed and having things ready come morning. After some experience with my cousins big green egg, I will be getting one of those real soon.

Same here. I have a drafty charcoal grill/smoker and it was difficult to keep temps since the hardwood would tend to catch fire here and there, causing me to watch it for the duration of the smoke. After that it was fine. I've had a Bradley electric smoker for the past 2 years and I love the consistent heat and smoke. It's nice loading it up before bed and having things ready come morning. After some experience with my cousins big green egg, I will be getting one of those real soon.

I love my Bradley digital

ForumRunner_20130828_193048.jpg

Couple of St Louis style racks, and a few bone-in chicken breasts for tonight's Smoked Chicken Mac & Cheese. There will be Velveeta involved.

Looking forward to it. Do you have the 1 star or 2 star? I've been eyeing Maks for a while. If my Traeger would ever finally give up the ghost... It's between the 1 star and a Memphis Select

Went with the 1 star. Loving it so far! Did some ribs last night, brisket is on now. Ended up with a 12.5 pounder instead of the 16. Pics to ensue.

I'm definitely smoking this weekend - just don't know what.

GO HUSKIES! Towson is going to be tough. :D

Today I have four sausages, Four chicken leg quarters and some russet potatoes and jalapenos. Smoking with some pecan and hickory.

Horrer story: At work, put 6 cured out pork bellies in the smoker (makin' bacon) at 150º for 18 hours, per my usual. Someone monkeyd with the settings, putting the hold temp at 385º instead of 150º. Ran for about 2 hrs. Hammered. Almost cried. Gotta trim all outside edges, except the fat on top, to make it useable.

10 racks of St. Louis cut spare ribs going in to the UDS tomorrow...and a tritip for a neighbor that has issues with pork. Some of the neighbors have seen the UDS. I'm pumped to see the reaction of the rest when they realize their dinner came out of a ugly steel drum. Side note, My pipeline is overflowing, I'm hoping all the ribs are gone and the beer stash has been culled to a reasonable quantity by tomorrow night.

Horrer story: At work, put 6 cured out pork bellies in the smoker (makin' bacon) at 150º for 18 hours, per my usual. Someone monkeyd with the settings, putting the hold temp at 385º instead of 150º. Ran for about 2 hrs. Hammered. Almost cried. Gotta trim all outside edges, except the fat on top, to make it useable.

Ugh. That sucks. I like my bacon well done though, so maybe not so bad for me.

Got some drumsticks going over a mesquite/apple blend with "Shred's Magic Rub".... it's not as dirty as it sounds (maybe).

iy4N2Yv.jpg

Did a brisket (15 hrs), a whole turkey (5 hrs) and two pork tenderloin rolls stuffed with pecan apple stuffing (3 hrs, just put on in photo). It was all amazing.

image-2209877904.jpg

m3n00b said:
What temp for the turkey?

I always smoke my Thanksgiving turkey (23-26 lbs.) at 325F and higher. Brine it for sure. Don't skip that part. You won't even have to season the turkey. It'll taste fantastic. And the skin will be crispy at that temp.

3 racks of spare ribs that I cut down to st louis style. and 3 whole butterflied chickens this weekend. Anyone have an idea of what I should do with all these trimmings from the ribs?

Does Monday count?

I'll be making my first brisket on my recently completed extension for my kettle with Oakridge Black-ops Brisket rub.

Any tips?

image-2999489398.jpg

3 racks of spare ribs that I cut down to st louis style. and 3 whole butterflied chickens this weekend. Anyone have an idea of what I should do with all these trimmings from the ribs?

Smoke them with the ribs then use them for anything. Soups beans sandwiches abt just about anything

Does Monday count?

I'll be making my first brisket on my recently completed extension for my kettle with Oakridge Black-ops Brisket rub.

Any tips?

Ya, wrap it when it hits the stall or you will be there all week. Seriously though, trim it to about 1/4" of fat and put the fat side down and when it stalls out pull it and wrap it with a little beef broth in the foil and throw it back on. If you have a syringe inject it with beef broth, not low sodium either, the real stuff. Cook it to about 200-205 and let it rest in the oven for a couple of hours at 170 when it is done.

Cook temp on brisket doesn't seem to be set in stone, I do mine around 275 just to get them done sometime this century. 275, wrap to push through the stall and then rest in the stove you will be styling, inject and you'll be the man.

Also don't slice it until your ready to eat and look up the proper way to cut it, Cut against the grain and you'll have some juicy tender goodness that everyone will love. Makes for great sandwiches.

Smoke them with the ribs then use them for anything. Soups beans sandwiches abt just about anything

+1 to that. My wife will take the thinner pieces and use them for other stuff but the larger pieces get rubbed and thrown on the smoker with the ribs. My wife loves those pieces.

Back