Keg or bottle....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumpbrew

Reaction score
I have a black ale that is ready to be bottled. My keezer will be done in a week or 2. I would just assume keg it, but I have no regulator or co2. Is it bad to let it sit in the keg without co2? I could let it sit in fermenter longer, but I dry hopped it and just assume get it out.

Regulator didn't get shipped with order, will have it and co2 in a week. I'm assuming it will be Ok in a keg until then? Providing I can get a good seal on the keg without pressure?

If you can get the CO2 and regulator in the near future, do that. The good part about kegging is that it's easy and once the beer has been racked to the keg, you an purge out the oxygen with the CO2 and it's the safest place for the beer. You probably wont want it in the keg, with the layer of oxygen on top.

If you can get the CO2 and regulator in the near future, do that. The good part about kegging is that it's easy and once the beer has been racked to the keg, you an purge out the oxygen with the CO2 and it's the safest place for the beer. You probably wont want it in the keg, with the layer of oxygen on top.

Forgot about the oxygen.... 5-7 days is probably too long?

I wouldnt leave it in there for that long on O2. Do you know anyone that might let you get a couple hits of CO2 to ensure your beer is safe?

I wouldnt leave it in there for that long on O2. Do you know anyone that might let you get a couple hits of CO2 to ensure your beer is safe?

I could leave it in the fermenter for a few more days... Been dry hopped for 4 days now, will it make a huge difference?

I dont think so...remember though that the longer the beer sits the hops tend to mellow out.

Maybe you could put it in the keg with some priming sugar and let it start keg conditioning? It might be naturally carbonated by the time the regular shows up and just require cooling and serving pressure co2. If oxygen is a concern, wait a day or two and release a little pressure from the keg, I would guess that would purge the o2. Leave it at room temperature to keep the yeast happy. Also, for some reason, it almost seems like natural carbonation (keg conditioned) dissolves in solution better than forced co2, but that's probably just my misconception.

Maybe you could put it in the keg with some priming sugar and let it start keg conditioning? It might be naturally carbonated by the time the regular shows up and just require cooling and serving pressure co2. If oxygen is a concern, wait a day or two and release a little pressure from the keg, I would guess that would purge the o2. Leave it at room temperature to keep the yeast happy. Also, for some reason, it almost seems like natural carbonation (keg conditioned) dissolves in solution better than forced co2, but that's probably just my misconception.

Question here...if you naturally carb in a keg and then go to serve. wont the first couple glasses be full of yeast that dropped out?

As jmcquestion said, just prime it with sugar and keg it.

Beer sitting in a keg uncarbonated is no different than beer sitting in a secondary uncarbonated. If you've got a good seal on the keg it will carbonate just fine. Worst case scenario, the priming sugar gets fermented and you're still left with a blanket of co2 over the top of the beer.

Yes, your first pint will have yeast in it...but is it really a big deal? Just pour it into a glass, dump it down the drain, and you're ready to go. The yeast will drop out of suspension once it's had some time in the keezer anyway.

As jmcquestion said, just prime it with sugar and keg it.

Beer sitting in a keg uncarbonated is no different than beer sitting in a secondary uncarbonated. If you've got a good seal on the keg it will carbonate just fine. Worst case scenario, the priming sugar gets fermented and you're still left with a blanket of co2 over the top of the beer.

Yes, your first pint will have yeast in it...but is it really a big deal? Just pour it into a glass, dump it down the drain, and you're ready to go. The yeast will drop out of suspension once it's had some time in the keezer anyway.

I have just never done it that way and i was curious...i guess doing it that was you also would get a lil bit extra ABV since you are adding more sugar too huh?

I have just never done it that way and i was curious...i guess doing it that was you also would get a lil bit extra ABV since you are adding more sugar too huh?

Technically, yes, but it's a negligable ABV increase.

When then i guess i just dont see the benefit of doing it. I can put my beer on gas and be drinking it in less than 3 days. I cold crash before hand so all the yeast is already dropped...

Do you have the volume of beer needed to fill the keg and leave very little headspace? If not, I'd wait until you have the CO2 setup ready before racking over so you can purge it.

Question here...if you naturally carb in a keg and then go to serve. wont the first couple glasses be full of yeast that dropped out?

You may get some yeast in the first couple of glasses but that would happen anyway unless you filter it out when transferring to the keg.

You could leave it in the primary and give it another dose of dry hops to get you to the time that you have the kegerator finished.

Back