Bar Top Finish? Is Epoxy Actually Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YankeesHomeBrew

Reaction score
893747_10200244246582262_129396462_o.jpg

Bar is almost ready to be finished! Just need the arm rail to be delivered and installed.

My question is what finish to use on the bar top? I always planned on doing an epoxy finish, but I've been reading that it doesn't hold up very well. Is this true? And if I do epoxy the bar top, should I just poly the arm rail? I don't know how the epoxy will stay on the arm rail contour as it self levels...

I want it to be very glossy, and love the idea of epoxy since it is one and done... are there other options for a high gloss finish that is made for bar tops or table tops without having to do a bunch of coats?

I'll add that I'm curious where you obtain this kind of epoxy that is not marine grade or what not. Been on the lookout for some 2 part without having to buy through west system or system 3. let me know where you get it from.

I'd go with the epoxy, then put some polyurathtane (spelling?) on top for a shine.

You can get self leveling epoxy at most "real" lumber stores. HD and Lowes carry some, but I've never used those.
I would epoxy the flat surface, and urethane the rails.

Thanks Cyko, I plan on posting a bunch of pictures from the entire project once everything is finished

Lowes carries the epoxy, I'm just now worried about how it will last after a little bit of research today. Anyone have expoxy on their bartop? I'm curious as to how it is with water also; I don't want "rings" from pint glasses being put on the bar without a coaster...

Built a pennytop bar last autumn and finished with a self leveling epoxy/resin from Lowes. We don't have any moisture rings and it's used frequently. Only blemishes are a few scratches and I'm cool with it showing it's utility!

image-2454265487.jpg

image-697371707.jpg

We did an epoxy bar a couple years ago, coated the bar top in decorative copper, lacquered it, then did the epoxy pour. It was scary, one shot is all you get, but it came out amazing. Get tons of compliments. Used this copper, second one on this page. http://www.colorcopper.com/pages/Copper-Bar-Top.html it's the Stellar design. This is not my bar but looks just like this.

Cost more than granite but is nice. Does NOT do well with heat though. If you set a hot pot on it from the stove would melt the epoxy. And it scratches pretty easy.

image-114755733.jpg

bd2xu said:
We did an epoxy bar a couple years ago, coated the bar top in decorative copper, lacquered it, then did the epoxy pour. It was scary, one shot is all you get, but it came out amazing. Get tons of compliments. Used this copper, second one on this page. http://www.colorcopper.com/pages/Copper-Bar-Top.html it's the Stellar design. This is not my bar but looks just like this.

Cost more than granite but is nice. Does NOT do well with heat though. If you set a hot pot on it from the stove would melt the epoxy. And it scratches pretty easy.

Also we used the laquer and epoxy from this site.

My goodness that is going to be a sexy bar setup when you're finished!

I don't have any epoxy suggestions - I just wanted to praise your work...haha

I've done a couple of bar tops and a vanity top with EnviroTex Lite and love the stuff. I'll see if I can get some pics up today.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKZFLI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I would pour the bar top and poly the rail. You're not going to find many epoxies that are UV resistant. All of the epoxies scratch but I have no problem with that. It cleans up well, glasses don't leave rings and is very durable. If you set something heavy on the top, it may leave an impression but it goes away when you remove the object.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epoxies in general have a low heat tolerance - it will be fine for a bar top if it's glasses of cold beer, but it will be damaged by anything hot.

I took a few pictures of some of the projects I did with the EnviroTex Lite. It's hard to show this stuff with pictures. You really need to see it first hand. I think no matter what epoxy product you choose, it's a good idea to do a couple of small projects to get used to it.

Kegerator with and without drip tray...

DSCN0143_zps28f06810.jpg

DSCN0144_zpsa34a891e.jpg

Wet bar...

DSCN0146_zps7718271b.jpg

Pony bar...

DSCN0145_zpseb13305c.jpg

And the vanity top...

DSCN0147_zps6ad5f698.jpg

I would epoxy the top and lacquer the rails.
You dont want the rails coming out uneven and plus i think the lacquer or even urethane would provide a better "feel" to them.

This is exactly what i would love to do in the corner of the basement!! ARHHH
VERY clean design and i friggin LOVE that little drop ceiling to accent the ceiling.

Beautiful...Just beautiful!
Im up in NY next time im down in PA you mind if i stop by?! Haha
Good luck!!

I'm a wood guy, and wanted some of the grain to come thru. I also wanted the bar top to be easily repair. I went with good old tried and tru Poly. My Bar top got 6 coats of High gloss, High build.

Thanks for everyone's input! I will be putting epoxy on the bar top and probably poly (or lacquer, not sure which is better at this point, or if there would even be a difference) on the rails. I have been taking tons of pictures through out the project and plan on posting a thread with all of them once it is completed.

I used envirotex lite on a table I made a while back (detail seen below), works great and still looks great a year later. It will pick up some fine scratches over time but they don't really bother me much.

if you go this route make sure your bar top is completely level or it will not dry evenly, if it isn't level then take it off (if possible) level it, apply the epoxy, and then re-attach it. A good drop cloth for overflow and a dust cover are also mandatory.

good luck:mug:

DSC_0060.jpg

I didn't even think about the bar needing to be 100% level for the epoxy... The bar top is definitely not removable either. I am now second guessing the epoxy again :confused: I'll have to check to see how level it actually is, but I know it's not perfect...

Ignoring all the epoxy talk for a second, I wanted to say that bar build is downright sweet!

I used the system 3 Mirror Coat and am pretty happy with it. This particular stuff is pretty expensive for an area that size, so I don't know. Overall, it was very easy to do. I did this very recently, so I cannot say how well it holds up with time.

I am still finishing my bar build. I used Envirotex Light epoxy on the copper bar top and polyethylene on the bar rail. I also used epoxy on the countertop behind the bar.

IMG_0379.jpg

I've done a couple of bar tops and a vanity top with EnviroTex Lite and love the stuff. I'll see if I can get some pics up today.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKZFLI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I would pour the bar top and poly the rail. You're not going to find many epoxies that are UV resistant. All of the epoxies scratch but I have no problem with that. It cleans up well, glasses don't leave rings and is very durable. If you set something heavy on the top, it may leave an impression but it goes away when you remove the object.

envirotex is great stuff and easy to use. Ive been using for 2 years to seal surf fishing plugs. Michaels crafts and AC Moore usually have 30-50% coupons every month so I would wait for them to come out before buying enough for a bar top. I bought the approx. 1 quart kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently finished my keezer and poured epoxy over the top.... I used Glaze Coat that I bought at Lowe's, it was about $62 for a gallon if I recall... i can't comment on the longevity but it wasn't as big of a PITA to work with as I thought it would be.

Back