Calling All Metal Fans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just gonna throw this out there...

2 songs that have come on the radio recently that are certainly a little mainstream, but to me seem to have the energy and anger of the death metal that I like.

Metallica - For whom the Bell Tolls

Think back past all of the *****ey *****ey crap that these morons have cranked out since the black album. This song is a thing of beauty.

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the name

The anger and energy are balanced nicely with heavy but funky guitars and strong beats. I can't help but dig it.

I am definitely anti top 40 BTW, these songs have poved their worth in my book.

Well, technically it's thrash metal and metallica did pretty much pioneer the sub-genre along with a few other bands. But yeah, anything prior to justice for all is pretty much essential.

As far as rage goes, not really my thing but I can appreciate it.. I will say that I do not consider it to be metal though, more hard rock if you ask me. I did hear recently that they were back together and working on a new record btw.

Well, technically it's thrash metal and metallica did pretty much pioneer the sub-genre along with a few other bands. But yeah, anything prior to justice for all is pretty much essential.

As far as rage goes, not really my thing but I can appreciate it.. I will say that I do not consider it to be metal though, more hard rock if you ask me. I did hear recently that they were back together and working on a new record btw.

Yeah, knew I was venturing out a bit far. Just seeing what your thoughts were.

Here, check this out and tell me if you like it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here, check this out and tell me if you like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU

Honestly, paired with the pic montage, that is about the gayest thing I have ever seen, lol. SORRY!

Honestly Battle Beast was far more awesome, until the guy started singing.

I just can't stand the "queensyche" soaring vocals

This is a little thrashy, but with a hint of techno to be sure. The vocals are much more of what I like. See what you think, it is a little monotonous, but I sat through 12 minutes of those guys flexing and looking gay;)

Honestly, paired with the pic montage, that is about the gayest thing I have ever seen, lol. SORRY!

Honestly Battle Beast was far more awesome, until the guy started singing.

I just can't stand the "queensyche" soaring vocals

This is a little thrashy, but with a hint of techno to be sure. The vocals are much more of what I like. See what you think, it is a little monotonous, but I sat through 12 minutes of those guys flexing and looking gay;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zSoyu1FO2Q

Haha, this is why I asked. So you are not a power metal fan and you think you like death metal. You have given me some ideas based on what you've told me so far as to what kinds of metal might suit your taste a bit better.

First, read this description of metal genres.

Now, heres a couple of examples of some good, contemporary DM. There are other variations of DM around nowadays, most notably melodic DM, but we'll stick with straight up DM for this exercise...

OK, so let's move on to some good, contemporary thrash. The main variations you will find with thrash nowadays, or at least the good ones, are spins with black and death. These two are straight up thrash..

Now for some black metal, that's really all that needs to be said.. You'll either really like it or hate it with a passion..

Now, let me know which of those you prefer and try some of these out too...

Oh, and for EFF's sake stop watching the videos, just listen.

:mug:

HAHA!!!:mug:

I will have to ait until tonight to give those a try. I appreciate your patience! Any like for Ghengis? They have some more thrash stuff, but that one is one of my favorites, some synthesizer under neath, but could just as easily be guitar.

HAHA!!!:mug:

I will have to ait until tonight to give those a try. I appreciate your patience! Any like for Ghengis? They have some more thrash stuff, but that one is one of my favorites, some synthesizer under neath, but could just as easily be guitar.

Meh, not really my thing but I can see the appeal. I have a big disdain for most "core" genres in general and I hear "core" influences there. It's not the electronic stuff that turns me off necessarily as much as the way they go about the arrangement on the metal parts.

Sorry I jacked this!

The ones where I really like the music, the vocals are crap. The ones where the vocals are good, seem to be ripping off metallica. The ones with long orchestral intros scream "******" at me.

Sorry, Will check out the latest ones you added tonight.

Sorry I jacked this!

The ones where I really like the music, the vocals are crap. The ones where the vocals are good, seem to be ripping off metallica. The ones with long orchestral intros scream "******" at me.

Sorry, Will check out the latest ones you added tonight.

Don't sweat it man, we'll find something you like sooner or later. I'll post some more samples for you to check out later today.

I like stuff that is really original. Here are some the harder edge things I love.

[ame]http://youtu.be/5vBGOrI6yBk?t=53s[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/gf1vC8ubnkY[/ame]

Currently been listening to

Deftones koi no yokan in cd deck
Sirius liquid metal
Sirius octane
Device- vilify. New band fronted by David draiman
Looking forward to new 40 below summer cd

:rockin:

Aces high was stuck in my head all day at work

Oh man, that reminded me of this for some reason. Anybody remember a band called Grim Reaper? Ah, the good old days...

:mug:

Yes. Did you listen to my examples of what I do like? The first one is supposed to be a little tongue in cheek nonsensical, but so original.

Yes, I was trying to understand why all those other vocals turn you off but yet you can listen to that ****** from SOAD who couldn't carry a tune with a bucket. Not a big tool fan either but at least Maynard can stay in key. I'll post up some more for you but at this point I'm beginning to think you've already made up your mind that you're not going to like it.

Do you think this guy can sing?

:)

Yes, I was trying to understand why all those other vocals turn you off but yet you can listen to that ****** from SOAD who couldn't carry a tune with a bucket. Not a big tool fan either but at least Maynard can stay in key.

Do you think this guy can sing?

I will check tonight!

You may have hit upon it. Maynard can SING (so can surge but he was playing in that song;)) but I don't care that much. In fact I HATE singers who are supertalented and can sing like an opera star.

Maynard is aboyut as polished as I can handle, but he has so much anger and emotion conveyed (not to mention originality and amazing back-up music) that I can seriously dig him.

I like a little death metal now and again (contains the word "metal";)), and despite my more mainstream examples, I hate top 40 as much as you. From these things (and what a cool guy you are) I was certain that we could find common ground, but maybe not!

Either way, we will remain friends.

I will check tonight!

You may have hit upon it. Maynard can SING (so can surge but he was playing in that song;)) but I don't care that much. In fact I HATE singers who are supertalented and can sing like an opera star.

Maynard is aboyut as polished as I can handle, but he has so much anger and emotion conveyed (not to mention originality and amazing back-up music) that I can seriously dig him.

I like a little death metal now and again (contains the word "metal";)), and despite my more mainstream examples, I hate top 40 as much as you. From these things (and what a cool guy you are) I was certain that we could find common ground, but maybe not!

Either way, we will remain friends.

We will find it and yes, we shall! :mug:

Back