Beersmith on a Chromebook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teal

Reaction score
I'm IT stupid - let's just get that out of the way.

From what I understand the Chromebook isn't like a normal laptop - no normal OS.

Was thinking about getting one for the price to replace my ancient Toshiba.

Anyone running Beersmith on it? How's it working for you?

I run Beersmith off a flash drive on my Asus EEE. It has a very similar processor. Its not super smooth, but it is certainly workable. Should work fine if you can install it on the chromebook (IE. compatable)

Chromebooks run a custom Linux-based OS, the interface of which is a glorified web browser. So if it's not a web page, you can't install it on the Chromebook. Even though Beersmith runs on Linux, since the interface of ChromeOS is a web browser, you can't just install any old linux program or linux package since there's not even a package manager. Second, it's very unlikely that ChromeOS includes whatever GUI libraries Beersmith needs (wxWindows, Qt, GTK, etc) since the ChromeOS UI is basically the Chrome web browser.

However, just throwing this out there, depending on the model of Chromebook you have, you may be able to dual-boot it with another Linux distro, thus allowing you to use the open beta of Beersmith.

Here's one starting point, although you'll have to get it into developer mode from the looks of it, and some info if you happen to have the Samsung series 5 version.

You can go to the chrome store to see what is available on a chromebook. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/

Nothing for brewing on there yet.

BTW, the ASUS EEE runs Android, not ChromeOS. There are brew apps on Android, just not for ChromeOS... but I think there will be an integration soon.

As someone who tends to reach for my Android tablet or my Chromebook for most things, I've been looking into options that will work for both. I recently started playing with Brewer's Friend, which is cloud-based. I'm going to give it a go for my next brew and if all goes well, I may go that route. You can check it out at http://www.brewersfriend.com/

I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it's probably a good compromise that I'm willing to take to be able to have an ultra-portable device at my side while brewing.

I finally had a weekend where I didn't have other obligations and it wasn't freezing cold, so I brewed. I used Brewer's Friend and all went well. I used it on my Android tablet but it works fine on Chrome OS devices as well.

If you're looking at getting a Chromebook, know that you can only do things that work in a web browser. If you really want to use Beersmith, you'd still need a traditional computer to run it and you could use Chrome Remote Desktop to access it.

Use Chrome Remote Desktop to access your desktop or laptop. Not really helpful for the OP if they're going to get rid of the old computer, though. But, about the only think I do regularly with my 8 year old desktop these days is run Beersmith.

Still no Beersmith 2 on Chromebooks, right? Think there'll ever be a way?

Back