Game plan critique (Tempranillo+Grenache)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomadigin

Reaction score
I'm usually not much of a forum poster but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there who can give me some advice on an upcoming batch of wine of mine. Below is the plan from start to finish and I'd like any thoughts such if I'm missing a step or something. Let me know if a step doesn't make sense. I only wrote down enough to remind me what I meant at some places.

• Destem and crush INTO BAG with bucket
  • Draw off some juice for topping off later (if available)
  • Optional if needed: Add water to bring to 5gal
  • Add Campden tablets at 1tab/gal
  • Measure OG _________
  • Adjust gravity as needed
  • 12hrs add pectic enzyme at 1/2tsp/gal
  • 12hrs add yeast nutrient at 1/2tsp/gal
  • 12hrs create yeast starter (Pasteur Red)
  • 24hrs add 1oz oak, mix well
  • 24hrs add yeast
  • Punch down cap 3 times a day
  • Ferment 5-7 days until between 1.020-1.010 __________
  • Remove skins and press
  • Rack to secondary
  • Add 1oz oak
  • Age until dry (0.995-0.990)
  • Degas
  • Experiment with Madagascar Bourbon vanilla extract (add to batch if tasty)
  • Amount ________/gal
  • Final Gravity ___________
  • Re-rack until clear
  • Bottle

I wouldn't use oak until the secondary, but otherwise it seems like your plan would work fine.

At "age until dry", though you've left out some important things to remember. First, it'll go dry in just a few days after you put it in secondary. But it's important to rack every 45-60 days as long as you have lees forming (sediment) or when you get lees 1/4" thick. Rack to a new carboy, top up, and airlock. Once the one is clear, and no longer dropping any lees at all after at least 60 days, you can add your bourbon or whatever. You shouldn't need to degas. A well-made wine should naturally degas on its own with enough time.

I've had ONE batch in 20 years that needed to be degas. Kit wines need to be degassed because they are rushed to the bottle. But since you'll be racking when you need to, the wine should degas on its own.

I use campden tablets (one crushed, per gallon, dissolved in some boiling water), at every other racking to help protect the wine (it's an antioxidant as well as a preservative).

In addition to Yoopers fine advice, I would add the pectic straight away at the beginning. This gives it a full 24hrs to work on the pectins and skins before your yeast get to work. Other than that it sounds technically great. (And tasty)

Thanks for the great feed back. I would have cleared it as you said I just forgot to write the step which I will do now since I'm trying to be explicit. As for degassing that's good to know. I use a wine whip I've made to mix and it sort of just ends up mostly degassing it as I blend the campden and potassium sorbate.

I will just add the two ounces of oak at secondary.

The "bourbon" is actually a homemade vanilla extra made from Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans. It smells wonderful and tastes great in baking so I just imagine what it could add to a good wine which is why I added the experimentation step.

As for the pectic enzyme I mostly offset it by 12 hours because I've read some sources that say that the campden tablets can effect the enzyme if added right away so I was just being safe. If the consensus is that its safe for immediate adding then I will do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back