Coffee grounds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade_The_Raw

Reaction score
Was thinking of making an IPA, and adding some vanilla bean coffee grounds with some brown sugar.

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting, hopefully someone will give you some good feedback on this. I think it would be cool, it will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks.

Nothing wrong with experimenting, but if you like the idea of vanilla & coffee, then I strongly suggest using vanilla and coffee. Not some flavored garbage, which is neither real vanilla nor decent quality coffee (Q: why would a vendor flavor a good quality coffee? Answer: they would not). And be careful - it's very very easy to go overboard with coffee.

Honestly, I would never buy a beer with this description, but heck this hobby is all about experimentation.

p.s. once you create a recipe, you might post it in the Recipe forum for some more specific advice.

SpeedYellow said:
Nothing wrong with experimenting, but if you like the idea of vanilla & coffee, then I strongly suggest using vanilla and coffee. Not some flavored garbage, which is neither real vanilla nor decent quality coffee (Q: why would a vendor flavor a good quality coffee? Answer: they would not). And be careful - it's very very easy to go overboard with coffee.

Honestly, I would never buy a beer with this description, but heck this hobby is all about experimentation.

p.s. once you create a recipe, you might post it in the Recipe forum for some more specific advice.

Very good advice. I hate flavored coffees, personally.

I'm not sure how IPA and coffee would meld as flavors, but I'd be willing to try one! Seriously though, you have two relatively bitter flavors, and it might be a bit much. You could always experiment with adding 1/2 to 1 oz of cold steeped coffee (for me, by far the best way to add coffee to beer) to a pint of your favorite IPA, then scale it up to a full batch if you like it. Vanilla, for me, mentally seems as if it might work in an IPA, but I agree you'd be better off just adding a vanilla bean to your fermenter rather than using a flavored coffee...

Forgive me and take my advice with a grain of salt since I dont make beer, but I used coffee grounds in a mead a little while ago. Was not at all pleased with the results, and the aroma was downright offputting. If I ever make coffee/espresso mead again I am going to brew the coffee first and THEN make the mead.

There's a local brewery around here that did a coffee IPA, and while I didnt get a chance to try it, I heard good things about it. Go for it!

It would never have occurred to me to add coffee to an ipa, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work in the right proportion.

There's a local brewery around here that did a coffee IPA, and while I didnt get a chance to try it, I heard good things about it. Go for it!

It would never have occurred to me to add coffee to an ipa, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work in the right proportion.

Hmmm...Perhaps my initial taste vision was off...you guys have inspired me to make a batch of cold steep and try spiking a few IPA's with it...

Or, how about this: a 'Black Coffee' IPA / Coffee Cascadian Dark Ale?

Forgive me and take my advice with a grain of salt since I dont make beer, but I used coffee grounds in a mead a little while ago. Was not at all pleased with the results, and the aroma was downright offputting. If I ever make coffee/espresso mead again I am going to brew the coffee first and THEN make the mead.

I've had good luck cold steeping the coffee grounds in a bit of vodka for a few hours. You can split open a vanilla bean and toss it into the mix as well. Filter out the solids, add the extract to the wort/must, and you're good to go.

Coffee in a mead sounds risky, but interesting.

Back