How long is too long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaine

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm increasing my batch size to 45L (~10 Gallons) and using two secondary fermenters. I have a 19L keg which means half of my batch will have to sit in the secondary fermenter for some time. How long is too long? I usually leave it for weeks before kegging just to clear but as a storage option how long can I let it sit?

AN AG brewing friend of mine left a beer in secondary for 6 months over the winter. When kegged, it drank as good if not better than any of his other beers. I have left some mine in the secondary for 6 weeks with no issues. just consider it bulk aging......

Well, this guy did it for two years: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42306

Depends on what you're using for a secondary; glass (if you keep it shielded from light) or stainless should be fine, plastic runs the risk of admitting oxygen. Also, some styles meant to be consumed when fresher (hefeweizens, ordinary bitters) might not necessarily benefit from extended storage, but they shouldn't be harmed if stored properly for 6 months or so.

As long as you properly take care of it, I think it can sit for numerous months. Marzen beers are typically brewed in March and drank in October. That is 7 months. I guess that is a little different though as those are usually in cold storage.

Back