I got a vile of DFH "DNA" yeast. What should I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
I am pretty pumped to have a yeast strain that was collected about 20 minutes from my house by DFH. But I'm not sure what to brew with it.

Here is an article and video about the beer:
http://blogs.delawareonline.com/pulpculture/2011/11/01/dogfishs-dna/

From DFH's website:
Fifer Orchards: Armed with petri dishes, technicians from Dogfish's quality control lab worked with fourth-generation farmer Bobby Fifer to capture wild yeast to ferment DNA.

University of Delaware: Professor Thomas Evans and plant diagnostician Nancy Gregory helped Dogfish Head sequence the DNA of the yeasts, allowing us to choose the best strain to ferment and flavor the beer.

Here is an article from UD that goes a little more in depth.
http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2012/nov/evans-gregory-yeast-110711.html

I can't find any information on the characteristics of this yeast, and I have not been down to the brewpub to try it yet. Im thinking some type of wheat/belgian style beer might work. Any suggestions?

I got some of that from a home brewers tour in December. Katrinka said that the yeast works best in wort with an og no higher than 1.065, and suggested brewing a smash, pale ale, or a 60 min clone. I brewed a low gravity ipa (1.055) with Columbus first wort, and simcoe and amarillo late additions. I fermented cool at 60F. The yeast is a mad beast and chewed threw my 2L starter in 24 hours and threw the beer in 4 days. I got crazy bubble gum, citrus, and little banana smell when it was fermenting. It has been cold crashing in my garage for a week now. I'm gonna dry hop for 5 days then keg and will post back some tasting notes. Btw this yeast is highly flocculent .

I got some of that from a home brewers tour in December. Katrinka said that the yeast works best in wort with an og no higher than 1.065, and suggested brewing a smash, pale ale, or a 60 min clone. I brewed a low gravity ipa (1.055) with Columbus first wort, and simcoe and amarillo late additions. I fermented cool at 60F. The yeast is a mad beast and chewed threw my 2L starter in 24 hours and threw the beer in 4 days. I got crazy bubble gum, citrus, and little banana smell when it was fermenting. It has been cold crashing in my garage for a week now. I'm gonna dry hop for 5 days then keg and will post back some tasting notes. Btw this yeast is highly flocculent .

Awesome! I wanted to go to that home brewers tour but had something come up :(. Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for. I will start messing around with beersmith and come up with a simple recipe.

It was awesome. Where did you get the yeast from? I heard it was for sale at some local home brew shops.

Just an update: Finally decided on a recipe. I will be brewing Biermuncher's "Blue Balls" Blue moon clone. I wanted to use this yeast in a beer with a relatively low OG. Since It's starting to get warm I figured a "wit" style beer would be nice. It's also fitting because the yeast was collected at an orchard, so a beer with a little fruit seems appropriate.

I made a starter last night and plan on brewing Friday. I'll update again with results.

If the yeast is vile, why would you want it?

I'd rather have a vail of something less offensive.

I'd rather not go to colorodo ski country to get something less offensive.

I'd rather have a vial of something good! :mug:;)

EDIT: Subscribed this sounds interesting.

I'd rather not go to colorodo ski country to get something less offensive.

I'd rather have a vial of something good! :mug:;)

EDIT: Subscribed this sounds interesting.

I got some yeast in vail once. There was nothing offensive about where it came from.

But the important question is: where shall we take our vial of vile from vail that it can be veildly introduced to voile.

Take THAT thread jackers!!!

Update: the starter looked very healthy. Had a very fruity smell to it. Brewed on Saturday and pitched the starter. It took off in less than 12 hours. Formed a nice thick krausen. This yeast seems to work very quickly and vigorously. Temp has been right around 70. Things have slowed down quite a bit already. I will take a gravity reading at the 1 week mark and see where we are at.

I have two vials (thats the right word, correct?) in the fridge right now also. I need to do something with them also. Let me know how the beer comes out. I'm thinking about making a 4% Sour with Granny Smith apples. Thoughts?

I want to grow one of the vials so I can make some more and hopefully put one on a slant plate soon to keep for awhile. Any one have any good links to a step up procedure with a stir plate?

Back