Favorite Cult Film?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
What is your favorite "cult" film?

For me ... probably Dr. Strangelove

Back in the 80's really liked The Warriors too, haven't seen it in years tho.

I didn't think Dr Strangelove was a cult film. It is one of my favorites, and probably my favorite Kubrick film, even though my friends try to argue that A Clockwork Orange is better.

I might have to go with Big Lebowski, or maybe Office Space. One of those two.

It's hard to pick just one, as each one mentioned so far by you guys are great flims in their own right.

Watched "Full Metal Jacket" the other night. That is a great movie.

The Big Lebowski, of course.

Spinal Tap, Holy Grail, and Strangelove are way up there, though.

A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a highly devoted but specific group of fans.[1] Often, cult movies have failed to achieve fame outside the small fanbases; however, there have been exceptions that have managed to gain fame among mainstream audiences. Many cult movies have gone on to transcend their original cult status and have become recognized as classics; others are of the "so bad it's good" variety and are destined to remain in obscurity. Cult films often become the source of a thriving, obsessive, and elaborate subculture of fandom, hence the analogy to cults. However, not every film with a devoted fanbase is necessarily a cult film. Usually, cult films have limited but very special, noted appeal. Cult films are often known to be eccentric, often do not follow traditional standards of mainstream cinema and usually explore topics not considered in any way mainstream—yet there are examples that are relatively normal. Many are often considered controversial because they step outside standard narrative and technical conventions.[2]

Wikiedia

That said: Tommy boy or Blazing saddles

Aww man, I'm going to have to watch all of these this weekend. It's been too long. I'll throw out a few.

Goonies
Clerks
Army of Darkness

Space balls and boondocks saints. History of the world part 1 too but I don't know if that would be considered a cult classic.

Club Dread. I find it hilarious but hardly anyone else I meet does.

Club Dread had its moments but their other movies are better.

My favorites are all monty Python, a Clockwork Orange, Rocky horror picture and Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Love old movies more than most of the crap Hollywood is puttin out recently, Mostly remakes

I grew up with Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Brother and Sister were big in the theatricality of it all. I got in every weekend for free to watch all the phreaks act out the show.

Watership Down. Billed a childern's movie and that was WAY wrong. The animation is very similar to Disney. The story is about 2 opposing tribes of rabbits that violently/graphically attack each other.

I remember as a child my mother would take me to the children's movie and then to A&W for $2 special of 2 coney dogs and 2 rootbeers (we each had one). This particular movie I remember parents dragging screaming children out of the theater. My mom wanted to go but I was enjoying the movie so we stayed. I own my own copy, it may be very hard to find...

Suburbia
Shaun of the Dead

And for some odd reason, JFK. If it comes on, I need to watch it.

Most of these seem pretty mainstream (aside from Evil Dead and maybe Watership Down) to me. How about The Orphanage, Feast, Tetro, Bubba Ho-Tep, Fido, Machete, Orgazmo, and/or Very Bad Things...?

I used to watch a lot of movies..

Most of these seem pretty mainstream (aside from Evil Dead and maybe Watership Down) to me.

I was thinking about that too.
But even when they become more widely popular they still somehow fit into the "cult" category ... so I went to Wiki ...

"A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a highly devoted but specific group of fans.[1] Often, cult movies have failed to achieve fame outside the small fanbases; however, there have been exceptions that have managed to gain fame among mainstream audiences. Many cult movies have gone on to transcend their original cult status and have become recognized as classics; others are of the "so bad it's good" variety and are destined to remain in obscurity."

Wow there are some really good ones on here.

My favorite cult classic happens to be my favorite film: A Clockwork Orange. I even saw it in a theater for a summer classics screening series.

I agree that a lot of these seem to mainstream to be "cult" films, but I agree with a lot of them anyway. For me it's This is Spinal Tap, Pulp Fiction, Tommy (The Who), Heavy Metal, Heathers. I saw someone put Orgazmo, that is friggin' funny! My favorites have to be the Kevin Smith films. The first 3 are brilliant, Clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy. But pretty much everything he did is hysterical if you ask me.

Lebowski!! Has anyone done the Lebowski Challenge? Drink a White Russian everytime he drinks one. And............whenever he does:drunk:

Lebowski!! Has anyone done the Lebowski Challenge? Drink a White Russian everytime he drinks one. And............whenever he does:drunk:

Kinda like the drinking game "Bob". (god I feel so flippin old saying this)
Watch the Bob Newhart show and every time someone says "Hi Bob" or if you really want to just throw caution to the wind, just "Bob", you drink.

Back