Making a Lager a Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GameReaper88

Reaction score
I have a pre made lager kit from Mr. Beer, I think its just a standard american lager, is there anything I can do to it to turn it into a Dunkel? The darker the better.

I have a pre made lager kit from Mr. Beer, I think its just a standard american lager, is there anything I can do to it to turn it into a Dunkel? The darker the better.

I'm not terribly familar with Mr. Beer kits, but I think you'd be better off to just make the Mr. Beer the way it instructs. I mean, if it's an American lager (which I doubt anyway because of the lager yeast issue), then turning it into a Munich dunkel isn't likely. (or did you mean dunkelweizen? either way, it's not likely).

It'd be like saying "I have a kit for ketchup- can I turn it into spaghetti sauce?" Both have a tomato base, but that's about all they have in common. Same with a dunkel, and an American "lager". They both have malt- that's about all they have in common.

I actually think it would be easier to turn ketchup into spaghetti sauce, add sugar, oregano and permesean. ... just lots of it. Wouldnt be the greatest texture.

I wish I knew beer as well as I knew general cooking.

I actually think it would be easier to turn ketchup into spaghetti sauce, add sugar, oregano and permesean. ... just lots of it. Wouldnt be the greatest texture.

I wish I knew beer as well as I knew general cooking.

Oh, you will if you keep at it! I remember being so intimidated by making something that I thought was as complex as beer, while I'm a darn cook cook. But making beer is really just like cooking, when you think about it. Choosing ingredients based on what they bring to a beer, and then deciding on quantity, is a key component of brewing. It takes some practice, but it comes pretty easy after a while. Just like with cooking, though, (you can't take a recipe for ice cream and turn it into meatloaf), you have to have an understanding of the basics.

Back