Need help finding keg parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
I just bought five old kegs (not reconditioned) that I need to clean up. Problem is, three of the kegs have old Firestone lids with relief valves that look like they REALLY need replacing and I can't find any replacements. The relief valves are types B and D on the pic below:

reliefvalves.gif

Everywhere I've looked said that these types are no longer available. I guess I could just replace the lids entirely with new ones but that kind of defeats the purpose of getting old kegs to start with, namely that it's cheap.

On another note, does a 7/8" socket fit the posts on a Spartenburg keg? All five of these kegs are Spartenburg. I don't have a deep enough socket so I need to go buy one.

What I'm afraid of, though, is that they won't get any more of them since the supplier discontinued them. I can't get them at the LHBS either for the same reason.

Yep, that's what my lids look like. I just said heck with it and ordered three used corny lids with the common pull-ring pressure release. For what those Firestone valves cost at the only place I could find them I'd be better off just getting lids that are more standardized.

Anybody want some old grungy Firestone lids with shot to hell relief valves? :D

For the mean time you might just go to the hardware store and look for threaded plugs or cap to fill the hole. Then carefully unscrew them when you need to purge. Or simply take off the gas in and purge through the in post.

Back