Beer Lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
I need new beer lines for the taps and the brew shop is closed for the next few days. Anyone see any issues with picking up some tubing from HD or Lowes.

I would assume the normal cleaning and sanitizing.

Make sure it is 3/16ID, 7/16OD beverage tubing, the wall needs to pretty thick so you keep the line pressure up. If you don't it'll foam all over the place!

The only concern is if it's beverage grade. Beverage grade has smoother inner walls, (less turbulance, less foam), and thicker walls overall, (tubing doesn't flex, pressure drop is more gradual, less foam again).

Of course, who knows how much of this is really important? You could always buy some of the lowes stuff, (which is not beverage grade) and see how it works.....I mean the stuff is like 10 cents/foot.

I'd just wait till you could get over to the LHBS unless Lowes or HD has beverage tubing.

Yea, you want to make sure you get 3/16 ID Thick wall beverage tubing. Gas tubing is usually 5/16 thickwall not 7/16 as suggested.

The closest you will find is braided vinyl 1/4" ID line at HD and lowes, be patient and get the right stuff or foam city.

Back