Star-San; How Old and How to Dispose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottD64

Reaction score
Greets!

This is the first time I've used Star-San. I made a five-gallong batch and used some this last weekend, but there's still 4+ gallons left. How long can I keep it and use it before I have to get rid of it?

And speaking of getting rid of it, is there a best way to dispose of it? We have a septic tank - can I pour it down the sink?

Thanks for any advice!

It lasts a long time depending on the water it's mixed with. As long as the PH is stable the Starsan is good.

I'm pretty sure you can dump it down the drain with a septic tank since it breaks down easily.

Why make so much? You only need to make like a gallon of it at a time. I dump mine outside in the back of my yard.

Not so good for the septic since your septic depends on bacteria. As it will not completely stop the anaerobic process, it will surely stunt it, if dumped in large quantities.

Star-San = Death for bacteria

I make 2.5 gals at a time. It seems to be just right for dunking bottles in a 5 gal bucket. I have had success with keeping it at the proper Ph for up to 4 weeks, when made with distilled water.

Why make so much? You only need to make like a gallon of it at a time. I dump mine outside in the back of my yard.

It's easy to mix in 5 gallon batches since it takes 1 oz Starsan. And it's convenient having a carboy full to siphon off of when needed. I make a batch every six months or so.

I make 3 gallons at a time(distilled water) and keep it in a 5 gallon plastic bucket, I change it every 3 months. I dump mine in ye old septic.

As soon as the star san is diluted in the sink/septic the pH becomes ineffective and it should be just fine on the septic tank.

Not so good for the septic since your septic depends on bacteria. As it will not completely stop the anaerobic process, it will surely stunt it, if dumped in large quantities.

Star-San = Death for bacteria

Wow, you're operating on some wrong information there. Actually starsan is fanstastic for the septic system. Just like how it becomes yeastfood in our fermenters, the septic buggies love it too.

Chuck Talley talks about it in his basic brewing podcast.

March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Back