Bottles: green v. Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbens6

Reaction score
My lhbs insists that green bottles should not be used, more specifically heinekin bottles. I have like 300 brown so it is not a HUGE deal but throwing out 70± bottles if I don't have too seems silly, thoughts?

just keep them out of direct light and they will be fine.
i prefer clear bottles so i can see when the yeast sediment gets to the neck so i stop pouring.

They are stored in my basement where they get SOME light from the glass block windows, is this a problem? I cannot store them in complete darkness I just don't have room!

They are stored in my basement where they get SOME light from the glass block windows, is this a problem? I cannot store them in complete darkness I just don't have room!

Use them to store anything that doesn't contain hops, or just throw a blanket/old t-shirt over them to keep the light out.

I bottled my beer in clear glass one time and spray painted them black. I had no problems with it, but I think i did 10 bottles and used a whole can of spray paint.

But i agree just bottle hops free items in them and you should be fine.

Heinken bottles shouldn't be used because the lip on them is a different shape than a regular amber colored beer bottle and you'll have to monkey around with your capper to get the bottle caps to go on and seal. You can make it seal if you put a nickle or a washer on top of the bottle cap so that the capper will "fit" and seal down on the bottle, but its more trouble than its worth really. Heinken bottles are just a pain in the ass, throw them away.

Oh by the way, other green bottles like Stella Artois, Becks, or Chezchvar work just fine - subject to the green glass lets in UV light problem.

But Heinken bottles are a ***** to get to seal. Not worth the trouble.

I've got some Beck's bottles lying around. They work fine, but I usually try not to use them just because of the potential of light based oxidation. I'll use one or two for each batch I bottle, just to try and keep an eye on color.

Back