pyrex carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Found a pyrex carboy on craigslist which got me wondering if there is any downside vs. glass.

Cost, weight (?)....anything?

Glass is easy to clean, and care for, just don't drop it or pour hot liquids into it and you are gravvy baby!!!!!!!:drunk:

I picked one up a couple weeks ago. I haven't used it yet, but I see no disadvantage to glass, other than price and they might be heavier. New they cose $200+, but you can get them used for less than $30. The wider nick and lack of thermal shock can be an advantage.

i sometimes used to steam sanatize my carboys. A pyrex one would have been awsome! Cooldown is a carefull process. but it guarenteed a sterile fermenter

Glass is easy to clean, and care for, just don't drop it or pour hot liquids into it and you are gravvy baby!!!!!!!:drunk:

Isn't pyrex all of those things but also stronger/heat resistant?

We had an old measuring cup and I remember dropping that thing on the floor at least a couple times with no breakage

I have one. I find it difficult to get a stopper to stick. The one I have has an odd shaped neck that doesn't give much surface area for the stopper to hold. I need to dry the star-san off to get more friction. Otherwise, it works well.

My neighbor just got me one that someone had for sale at a garage sale for $25. It looks to be around 5 gallons. I will be cleaning it out this weekend and I had an old stopper that looks to be the correct size for it. They look to be about $300 new or so. Trying to figure out if I can do anything special with it.

fwiw, Pyrex has become a brand name that no longer means what we all used to know.

"Pyrex (trademarked as PYREX) is a brand which was introduced by Corning Incorporated in 1915 for a line of clear, low-thermal-expansion borosilicate glass used for laboratory glassware and kitchenware. It is now made of tempered glass.

Corning no longer manufactures or markets Pyrex-branded borosilicate glass kitchenware and bakeware in the US, but Pyrex borosilicate products are still manufactured under license by various companies. World Kitchen, LLC, which was spun off from Corning in 1998, licensed the Pyrex brand for their own line of kitchenware products—differentiated by their use of clear tempered soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate."

I would not assume any characteristic of a "Pyrex" branded product...

Cheers!

So, since Pyrex may or may not be borosilicate glass I would treat this one like any other carboy. Handle it with extreme care... No thermal shocks etc.

In response to thicker glass and comparing it to a measuring cup - It is likely a lot thinner than the cup and has a lot more mass when hitting the ground. It can break and if it is stronger... to me that means it can sever arteries more easily....

I picked one up a couple weeks ago. I haven't used it yet, but I see no disadvantage to glass, other than price and they might be heavier. New they cose $200+, but you can get them used for less than $30. The wider nick and lack of thermal shock can be an advantage.

Odds are the old Pyrex carboy is actually borosilicate. Odds are the measuring cup from Bed, Bath and Beyond that is labled Pyrex isn't.

And I eventually did break mine when another carboy bumped into it. The awesome thing is that it just cracked, not shattered and it didn't even leak.

Latest posts

Back