How long is too long in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheftonUTD

Reaction score
So I got very lazy bottling my beers recently...

I've had a pale ale/blonde sitting in the fermentor for around six months now, at about 16*C (61F).
It's estimated at about 4%abv, and quite light on hops.

Since it doesn't smell or look horrific, what are the chances it would turn out to be a decent beer if I bottle it?

I've heard on here of people getting good beer out of nearly a 1 year fermentation, but those have been stored at 'lager' temperatures.

Don't really want to drink it if it's not going to be good, but throwing out 23L of beer is probably some sort of crime...

I agree with the above. I've never left one in a fermentor that long but I have had several low ABV beers that I kept for over a year after bottling. Some got better. Some didn't. They were all drinkable.

I think all will need closure to this story. Plus one for drink and tell... if you live to share, that is... ;)

mzo8.jpg

Mmm, looks like 20k old engine oil - not too much bacteria though...
(yes, that is a world cup promo football holding up the glass shelf)

I should probably drink this...

ouqo.jpg

A pour held up infront of a candle. It's supposed to be a very light blonde...

I should probably drink this...

I drank it.

Not half-bad, a fair bit of the 'green' / 'apple' taste. Has quite a sweet flavour. I lost my recipes / brew-logs when my old PC died. From memory it's; 80% light LME, 20% dextrose, and about 20g Cascade @ 20 mins.

So on to bottling, I'll bottle it within the next 1-12 months ;) .

Surely someone is lazier than I, how long has anyone let their brew sit (not including lagering) and still ended up with beer? (historical references are more than welcome) :)

I'd say your beer has probably reached its FG by now so you can dry hop it for 3 to 5 days and then bottle it. It should be really smooth by now.

wow.. i thought leaving my Pumpkin Pie Creme Ale in the primary for 2 months was a sin.

It's been in the bottle for a month and it tastes pretty good. Just needs to age the "green" out.

Back