RIMS Newb - Needs help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sch21c

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used brewing rig from a hbtalk member that is exiting the hobby. The rig has a RIMS tube, and I've been having problems getting everything to work correctly.

I'm somewhat frustrated, because I'm dying to brew using this setup, but I haven't been able to. I'm going to be (perhaps overly) specific on what I've done so far so that those interested in helping will know exactly what's been going on.

System:
Propane fired HLT
RIMS Tube with RTD
Auber SYL-4352 PID controller
March pump
Propane fired boil keggle

Did my first test run (using water only) about a week ago. The HLT (propane fired) worked fine. I transferred the water to the mash tun using the pump with no problems. Water temp was approx 160 degrees. I set the pump up to recirculate the water in the mash tun through the RIMS tube. The controller was set at 152 degrees. Once the temp got down to the point where the element needed to kick on, the GFCI breaker tripped. I isolated the issue to the element, and replaced the heating element with a new unit of the same model. Note that the controller worked at this point, just the element kept tripping the GFCI.

After getting the new element, installing it, etc., I did my second test run (again using water only) yesterday. This time the controller kept displaying an error code of "orAL 1176" on the top display. I made sure the cable connecting the controller panel to the sensor was seated correctly (multiple times).

Note that I did not run the controller through the "autotune" process (I didn't even know about it until I started doing some research on the error code).

I don't know what the error code means. It shows up when the RTD sensor is connected, or not.

I've attached pics of the controller setup, though not sure if it's helpful.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to start using this system.

Thanks in advance,
--Sam

1-IMG_0288.jpg

3-IMG_0286.jpg

4-IMG_0285.jpg

I think that code means a wiring issue with the temperature probe, but you'll definitely want to call Auber.

It looks like you have the "deluxe" pre-wired cable and socket they sell (is your wire jacketed in wire braid?). You may want to take apart the socket and plug and make sure the solder joints are still good. The one I have had a lead that broke off inside the plug. It's trivial to re-solder it, once you figure out that's the problem.

I think that code means a wiring issue with the temperature probe, but you'll definitely want to call Auber.

It looks like you have the "deluxe" pre-wired cable and socket they sell (is your wire jacketed in wire braid?). You may want to take apart the socket and plug and make sure the solder joints are still good. The one I have had a lead that broke off inside the plug. It's trivial to re-solder it, once you figure out that's the problem.

I've been trading some emails with Auber, but wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences here.

I'll check the connections at the socket and on the cable. The cable between the box and the sensor is just three wires wrapped together, don't think there's any wrapping over it.

Thanks.

Looks like it's a broken wire in the cable. I'm going to try and fix it. My soldering skills are a bit rusty and it's kind of tight in there. I think I'll also order the deluxe teflon wire from Auber.

They were really good with a prompt and helpful response.

Thanks for your help too.

OK. So I used my very rusty soldering skills and (I think) repaired the cable. But now I get an error code of "orAL -343". Anyone have any experience with this one? It would be so much easier if Auber published their error codes.

Update: Finally got everything working properly. The wire that connected the PID to the RTD was not up to the task. I ordered the deluxe heavy duty model from Auber and it works great.

Also, big props to Auber for their customer service. Very helpful and patient.

Looks like it's a broken wire in the cable. I'm going to try and fix it. My soldering skills are a bit rusty and it's kind of tight in there. I think I'll also order the deluxe teflon wire from Auber.

They were really good with a prompt and helpful response.

Thanks for your help too.

Just today I had the orAL 1176 error code. I have the deluxe cable and found that one of the wires was loose also. I soldered it back on and everything worked fine after that!

Here's a link to the deluxe cable for anyone else in need of one:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=269

Back