Vanilla Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweed

Reaction score
Here's my 2nd batch of RIS. My last one I used oak chips, 2 vanilla beans, and some bourbon. I am going to leave out the oak chips, and up the other 2. I just made this last night, and it's going crazy this morning.

6 lbs light dme
3 lbs amber/golden dme
3 lbs dark dme (adding in few days with the molasses.)
1 lb roasted barley
1 lb chocolate
1 lb black patent.
1 lbs molasses
3-4 vanilla beans
12-16 oz bourbon
2 wyeast smack packs American ale yeast.
2 oz summit at 60 min
3 oz Fuggles at 30 min
5 oz dextrose for priming

OG was 1.094, but that's before the dark dme and molasses. Taking those into acct it should be around 1.123! The FG is est at 1.031, but I have a feeling it'll finish lower? Given that OG and FG, this should be nice at 12.1%. The wort looked super black, it is fermenting at a nice 64°. The apt temp is at 50°, so this is fermenting crazy warm. Luckily I'm not in that part of my apt, I'm sick so I'm stuck in bed in my warm bedroom. I had to crack a window last night to get the room temp down, because I didn't want it fermenting in a 70° room, even with all my heat turned off (it was staying warm probably from the boiling and cooking I did, plus the other ppl below me blasting their heat).

I will ferment this for a month, then I will leave it in the secondary for 3-4 months. My first RIS didn't last so long, I have only 2 bottles left, they have been in bottles for about 5-6 months. They turned out great, I just want to try it with out the bold oak, and more vanilla and bourbon.

Curious about three things

1. Why are you adding DME in a few days?
2. Wy are you using three different types of DME?
3. Why do you feel your final gravity reading will be what you think it is? Previous experience?

3. Why do you feel your final gravity reading will be what you think it is? Previous experience?

Seconded.

Also, if it gets to 12%, you may want to consider adding some more yeast, maybe champagne yeast, when you bottle.

I could get away with light dme for sure, was just considering dark dme for the added crystal malts for more flavor, but I guess I already have enough. I'm adding it to kick fermentation up again to get it to hit the final gravity. I know someone that does thus with his big beers and it alwaysworks for him, also for my last RIS. My last RIS, my gravity hit 1.020, but that was with wlp1099 high gravity yeast, I wanted to use a different yeast, so out prob won't be that low.

Edit, my last RIS just about hit 12%.

Seconded.

Also, if it gets to 12%, you may want to consider adding some more yeast, maybe champagne yeast, when you bottle.

My last RIS, the carbonation came out just about prefect without adding yeast. This yeast is different, so I'll think about it. There is almost no head, but kind of expected with a big beer. A little more head would be nice, but maybe I shouldn't brew up beers this big! If FG drops to 1.024 it'll hit 13%. Maybe I'll try that this time.

Thanks guys

So do you boil the DME,chill it then add to the fermenter to give the yeast some new sugar?

I have to admit that this is sounding delicious. Never made a stout or even drank a stout. I love my Honey Porter tho.

So do you boil the DME,chill it then add to the fermenter to give the yeast some new sugar?

Yes, I have shook the fermenter yesterday and today to keep it going strong. Once it starts to slow, I'll add more of those sugars for all that yeast to eat up.

I added the 3 lbs dme and 1 lb molasses to the fermenter last night. It kicked back up crazy again soon after. I also cut up and scraped 6 vanilla beans, with 2 cups of knob creek single batch bourbon. 16 oz, and 6 vanilla beans should take me where I want to go, lol. The vanilla beans will soak in the bourbon for about a month before I added it to the secondary.

The volume is about 5.25 gallons now.The more the better.

I just checked the FG and it is at 1.029. The OG calculated was at 1.128. I did added in a half lb of dex with the last dme and molasses I forgot to mention. So this is sitting pretty at 12.99%. Lets just round that up to 13% lol. I only tasted a few drops from the thief, and of course I just brushed my teeth, but it tasted great, and I could get the hint of some booze. I am going to rack this over the vanilla beans and bourbon later tonight. Then she sits for 3-4 months. Btw this thing is super black, it looks freaking awesome!

ForumRunner_20130127_160513.png

I got to racking this tonight. I filled it up really high in my carboy, so I got a little more liquid out of it than I thought. The sample smells good, and tastes good also. Of course there's some booze to it, and that's why I am leaving this for a good 3-4 months to bulk age before I bottle it. It should be ready for the fall/winter.

ForumRunner_20130128_181723.png

Thanks, the waiting is going to stink. That's why I'll have to keep on brewing. I think some type of Belgian next.

I have a Coconut Imperial Stout that was born 2 months ago and been in bottles for a month. Had one 2 weeks ago and still needs some serious aging. Gonna leave them tucked away until March and try another to see were it's at.

You say belgian, I did my frist belian white a few months back, partial mash. Absolutley love it. Making more very soon.

The belian Tripel I have is very young and wont see my belly for another 8+ weeks....:(

I got to racking this tonight. I filled it up really high in my carboy, so I got a little more liquid out of it than I thought. The sample smells good, and tastes good also. Of course there's some booze to it, and that's why I am leaving this for a good 3-4 months to bulk age before I bottle it. It should be ready for the fall/winter.

I'm not going to lie I like the idea you're doing with the vanilla beans, do you think it would turn out with out if I also add oak to the secondary? What's your thoughts

I'm not going to lie I like the idea you're doing with the vanilla beans, do you think it would turn out with out if I also add oak to the secondary? What's your thoughts

With my imperial stout when I racked to secondary both toasted coconut and french oak chips went into the secondary so I say go for it.

I used oak chips the last time. I think I should have soaked those as well. It turned out pretty oaky. I think I left them in the secondary for 13 days. I hear a week is enough time. I only used 1 oz. I didn't want any oak this time.

So I bottled this yesterday. The biggest thing I found out, I guess, is that the vanilla flavor will get to a certain point and that's it, because after being in the secondary for about 2 months the flavors didn't change since the last time I tasted it a few weeks ago. The vanilla is not huge and over the top. The bourbon probably balances it out I guess.
The FG dropped to 1.027. And this made exactly 5 gallons. 28 bombers and a little extra I couldn't bottle . The sample tasted pretty good, with the bourbon followed by the vanilla. Ya it's got some alcohol to it, but being 13%, that's what I expected, and this will be aging in a basement until earliest this fall. I will keep a few just for 'testing purposes', haha. But these will easily go a few years, and I hope I can keep busy making more beers so I don't run out of these.
I don't know if I should try a sample in a month or 2 months? I should have taken my sample pic but I'll get one the next time I open one up.

sweed said:
So I bottled this yesterday. The biggest thing I found out, I guess, is that the vanilla flavor will get to a certain point and that's it, because after being in the secondary for about 2 months the flavors didn't change since the last time I tasted it a few weeks ago. The vanilla is not huge and over the top. The bourbon probably balances it out I guess.
The FG dropped to 1.027. And this made exactly 5 gallons. 28 bombers and a little extra I couldn't bottle . The sample tasted pretty good, with the bourbon followed by the vanilla. Ya it's got some alcohol to it, but being 13%, that's what I expected, and this will be aging in a basement until earliest this fall. I will keep a few just for 'testing purposes', haha. But these will easily go a few years, and I hope I can keep busy making more beers so I don't run out of these.
I don't know if I should try a sample in a month or 2 months? I should have taken my sample pic but I'll get one the next time I open one up.

So did you primary for two weeks secondary for two months and then you're going to bottle condition for nine months????

Jrbetz said:

So I'm sure I'm too late to comment but i just thought i would toss out there that the best extract kit I've done so far (and i've only done about 6-8 )was a bourbon barrel porter from Northern brewer. It sounds fairly similar (though much less boozy) to this one. Some of the comments suggested soaking the oak cubes in bourbon for like 48 hours and adding vanilla (i think we went the cheap route and just put in extract). It was amazing and sadly the bottles were go e tooo quickly. I have a feeling there is no bad way to combine bourbon, oak vanilla and stou/porter.

So did you primary for two weeks secondary for two months and then you're going to bottle condition for nine months????

My primary was a month. I wanted to bulk age this longer for 3-4 months, but I figured this was good, and will bring it home to my parents at Easter to store in their basement. These have no business being opened before 6 months, so the longer the better. I will keep a few to test every couple months.

So I'm sure I'm too late to comment but i just thought i would toss out there that the best extract kit I've done so far (and i've only done about 6-8 )was a bourbon barrel porter from Northern brewer. It sounds fairly similar (though much less boozy) to this one. Some of the comments suggested soaking the oak cubes in bourbon for like 48 hours and adding vanilla (i think we went the cheap route and just put in extract). It was amazing and sadly the bottles were go e tooo quickly. I have a feeling there is no bad way to combine bourbon, oak vanilla and stou/porter.

I'll be trying my first RIS I made last June during Easter. Sadly, I only have 2 bombers left, I drank these far too quickly because I didn't have any other news around. I will need to find oak cubes, as chips I used in my first RIS made the oak very pronounced. It did settle down after 6 months or so.
My advice when making big beers, make a lot and keep brewing so you don't drink them too fast!

sweed said:
I already want to make another one! Haha

Hey, do you or did you, have any form of temp control throughout the year to maintain a certain temp? I have nothing but a spare bathroom and really want to make this. But being that its March and going into spring and summer I wonder if that will make a difference.

Hey, do you or did you, have any form of temp control throughout the year to maintain a certain temp? I have nothing but a spare bathroom and really want to make this. But being that its March and going into spring and summer I wonder if that will make a difference.

I keep them and will keep them at my parents house in there basement where it doesn't get above like 60 in the summer, esp those hot days. most of the year it's in the 50's. My apartment will get warm in the summer, and I won't keep the AC on when I'm at work.

Ok so I should have some sort of controlled temp fermentation before I do this. Maybe a small fridge or mini fridge with a controller.

richlong8020 said:
Ok so I should have some sort of controlled temp fermentation before I do this. Maybe a small fridge or mini fridge with a controller.

Advice from a new brewer who has only brewed extract beers (so take it for what its worth), most of our beers turned out pretty good, without a temperature controlled chamber. That said i live in northern california and we rarely see temps over 90 and any given day wont swing much nore than about 30 degrees, so that is definitely on my side. Brewing in montana or Arizona would be another challenge for sure.

To cool the carboys off on really hot days we've put an old wet t-shirt on them and pointed a fan at it. Its not going to lager anything, but it will pull things down a bit. We also got a heating pad for the cooler winter nights when i gets below 50, again you won't be brewing belgians in michigan, but in a reasonably insulated home it goes the distance. I've also heard people talk about sitting the carboy in a cooler and puttting water in it. Then freezing some water in old gatorade bottles and such, then when things heat up, drop in a frozen bottle or two to bring ypur temps back down. (im sure a creative way of heating it exists, but the heating pad seems to work pretty well). Not my idea, I take no credit, but seems reasonable.

After all that though, I'd be a liar if i said i didn't really wish i had the space and money to get an old chest freezer to put a temperature cotroller in and make my own fermentation chamber.

That's a lot of info. But keeping this info in mind I hear a RIS callin my name ;). I'll brew this hopefully in a week or two.

I dont mean to thread jack, but..

Would any of you guys mind looking over what I have planned for my RIS (also from NB)?

I'm a few batches in as far as kits are concerned. Definitely a newbie looking for feedback form those more experienced.

here's the link to the thread I started. I plan on making this sometime next week after I finish a few more brews for my wedding.

I know there's a lot going on, but hopefully not TOO much?

Link to my thread

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I dont mean to thread jack, but..

Would any of you guys mind looking over what I have planned for my RIS (also from NB)?

I'm a few batches in as far as kits are concerned. Definitely a newbie looking for feedback form those more experienced.

here's the link to the thread I started. I plan on making this sometime next week after I finish a few more brews for my wedding.

I know there's a lot going on, but hopefully not TOO much?

Link to my thread

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

You have a lot of flavors going in there. RIS's already have a lot of complex flavors. Adding coffee and vanilla you'll get those good flavors. Adding more and more, it could get lost, or it could be an amazing beer.

As for the fermentation control, I kept my apt colder for the first week or so, while the big fermentation was going on. The temperature on the thermometer on my bucket wasn't more than 64-66, it was as low as 60-62. I left windows open, and my temp in my apt was in the low 50's. After than it never rose above 68. I figure that was as good as out could get.
I would not new this in the summer, it would ferment was to hot. I'm sure once I eventually move into a house, it'll do all those fun coolers, keezers, I'll keg and get into AG. But this works for now.
Last August when it was warm, I would ferment in a swamp cooler. That worked, but it was a pain trying to keep the water temp down, freezing ice and gallon jugs.

sweed said:
I added the 3 lbs dme and 1 lb molasses to the fermenter last night. It kicked back up crazy again soon after. I also cut up and scraped 6 vanilla beans, with 2 cups of knob creek single batch bourbon. 16 oz, and 6 vanilla beans should take me where I want to go, lol. The vanilla beans will soak in the bourbon for about a month before I added it to the secondary.

The volume is about 5.25 gallons now.The more the better.

Hey how did you boil this? Just molasses and DME? Water? Then did you just throw it back into the primary or into a carboy for secondary.

Hey how did you boil this? Just molasses and DME? Water? Then did you just throw it back into the primary or into a carboy for secondary.

Yup, maybe a quarter of a gallon of water. Boiled the dme, molasses, and also had some dextrose. I boiled it in a pot, cooled it, then added it to the primary after, I think 4-5 days. Basically once fermentation slowed down. This helped to kick it back up to get the gravity down. The tolerance of that American ale yeast is 11%, I think and this is at 13%, so I guess that trick works!?

Amazing thx. I'm doing this in a few weeks having these details is gonna help out greatly.

I've made some big RIS's. I'm sure the 8-10% ones are a bit easier. I was going to make this one only 10%, but that changed haha. I might some time make a more simple, straight forward RIS. Something that won't take years to get really good.

Well as far as drinking homebrew goes this RIS will be slowly enjoyed. Not to mention I probably won't be gifting a lot of this away lol

Vanilla! Popped this guy open tonight, and testing the one month in bottles. A little carbonation, no head and I don't expect any. Hint of bourbon at beginning, then that vanilla comes through with some roast, and I may be getting some of that molasses. It's not thick, or thin, silky best describes the mouthfeel. It is a little sweet/ syrup, but nothing too cloying IMO.
All this thing needs is some aging. Ok a lot of it, but it is very drinkable right now, and one glass is all you need. The only thing I would change right now is either adding more bourbon, our a little less vanilla to get the bourbon to come through a bit more. That vanilla is so good though. The bitterness is prefect also, it's not bitter but you can tell all those hops help to balance out this massive beer.
No making fun of the glass, I don't have a snifter, lol.

ForumRunner_20130413_220629.png

Back