Sodium Citrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzAnnie

Reaction score
Hello, have simple question. Does sodium citrate inhibit yeast? I know from making bread, that salt will keep the 'beasties' under control. Will this stuff do the same to the yeast in my wine? Thanks.

Negative. When you get get potassium sorbate or sodium sorbate it's the sorbate that stops the yeast, not the "salt" (potassium or sodium). Citrate will impart an acidic bite similar to that of a lemon or orange. Citrus... citrate... :)

Bread yeast is the weakling little brother to brewing yeast... Chihuahua vs St. Bernard :)

Thanks...I used some CHEAP Blueberry Cocktail as a filler and it was very slow in starting. I used Lalvin EC1118, which I never used before. It was a really slow start, and I was wondering if the sodium citrate was the culprit. Normally, I use Premier Cuvee or Champagne yeast, and I never have any problems.

Unlikely. I use bottled juices and concentrates that use citric acid as a preservative all the time and don't have any troubles.

Thanks, I was trying to save money by buying the OceanSpray BlueBerry Cocktail. Usually I buy Northland. I don't think I will be using it again. I know better. I can hardly wait for blueberry season. These wines are OK but so much inferior to the fresh produce ones. HURRY UP SPRING & SUMMER!!!

Weinstein is cream of tartar
Thank you so very much!!!
The reason I was asking: my friend from Germany told me that she has COPD( she never smoked, but always had a problem with coughing and asthma. She told me that since she makes a drink which helps her tremendously. : 1 teaspoon of Weinstein( she has to get it from the Internet and Winemakers need this to make wine) into 1 Glas if Orange juice. Drink this every morning and it helps the Lungs ! She told me that this is do effective that she often don’t even need her Inhaler. That’s the reason why I done some research. My friend claims that her husband had often Smokers cough and after drinking this Weinstein with Orange juice , don’t cough no more. Thank you so very much for your help !!!

Back