New member and new to breaking!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
Hello! I wanted to introduce myself to the community. I found out about this community through my local bottle shop in Lakewood, NJ. One of the employees home brews and when I told him I just bought a beginners kit, he became very excited and the first thing that came out of his mouth was "GO ON HOMEBREWTALK.COM"

So here I am. Ready to take on my first real brew kit (I dabbled with a Mr. Beer once. It came out tasting like apple juice.).

I ordered a Northern Brewer One Gallon kit with the White House Honey Porter. I figured the one gallon kits would suffice for me to start. I really do not have the room for five gallons of beer and when I discovered beer recipes are scaleable it seems like the right way to go.

Along with the kit I ordered a few extra things that I think would help me:

- ProAccurate digital thermometer
- Cacao nibs for the honey porter - I like to experiment!
- 2 gallon bucket and spigot for bottling - I heard it was easier to bottle from a bucket than a siphon from the fermenting jug

I also ordered a second recipe (Caribou Slobber) and an extra one gallon fermentor because I'm not one to wait and wanted to make a second brew while waiting for the first one.

Anything else you all think I need or is everything that comes with the kit sufficient to start with?

Thanks!

Jon

Wow... Go me. I spelled the title of the thread wrong. Oops! Sorry

Hahaha, I thought you were a victim of "autocorrect". Turns out, no. I could fix it for you, but I'm too busy chuckling!

Anyway, sounds like you've got it under control. I'm not sure about cocoa nibs in a porter, (doesn't sound very good to me) but the rest sounds just fine.

I haven't tried the one gallon kits, but I know their five gallon kits come with great instructions and their ingredients are good quality and fresh, so you should be all set!

Wow... Go me. I spelled the title of the thread wrong. Oops! Sorry

I wondered what you were breaking. There are long threads about breaking hydrometers and carboys.....

But then I figured it might just be an autocorrect problem.

Welcome to the forum and the woderful hobby/addiction of brewing.

Welcome to here:mug: you could also get a 5gal. kit and divide it in half. Thats what I do.

I only viewed this thread because I thought it would involve break dancing.

Yooper said:
Hahaha, I thought you were a victim of "autocorrect". Turns out, no. I could fix it for you, but I'm too busy chuckling!

Anyway, sounds like you've got it under control. I'm not sure about cocoa nibs in a porter, (doesn't sound very good to me) but the rest sounds just fine.

I haven't tried the one gallon kits, but I know their five gallon kits come with great instructions and their ingredients are good quality and fresh, so you should be all set!

Glad I gave you a laugh! The nibs were bought because I needed to finish up a gift certificate. Ill use them for something.

I've heard similar about the instructions that's why I went with one. I need detailed instructions. I'm more of a visual learner so the more detailed the better!!

beergolf said:
I wondered what you were breaking. There are long threads about breaking hydrometers and carboys.....

But then I figured it might just be an autocorrect problem.

Welcome to the forum and the woderful hobby/addiction of brewing.

Thanks! I'm sure ill break something!!

Back