High steeping temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropjaw83

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of Dunkelweizen today. While steeping the chocolate & malt, the temp got above 170 for about 3 minutes. It went up to 180 when I walked away for a few minutes and I immediately cooled it back down to 160/165ish. I know it says it will release Tannins if it gets above 170, so what can I expect in 'off flavors' or flawed beer?

The "too high will leach tannins" idea is really an oversimplification that a lot of noobs worry about, and repeat incessantly without truly understanding.

You only produce tannins in a VERY LIMITED situation, the right combination of ph and temp...NOT anything you might have come to erronously believed which has been proving wrong...you can't get them from squeezing the grains (UNLESS they were present due to the above mentioned scenario) and you can't get them from boiling grains, or having the temps simply go over 170.

I give a fairly in depth overview of the whole "tannis" boogey man here.

Basically, high ph plus high temps = tannin extraction. You've got high temps for short period, so lets look at ph. Chocolate malt lowers PH substantially. Unless you had a high volume of naturally high carbonate water, you probably stayed well within the "safe" range.

Back