First Batch Taist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I just opened a bottle from my very first batch and now I have a few questions. Since this was my first batch it was an extract kit (Brown Ale from Mountmellick) and I'm sure I made some mistakes along the way. My first question is this: 1) It has an over carbonated taste to it. Kinda like when you get a soda thats all carbonation.
I did use the priming taps instead of sugar and I bottled in 12oz bottles.
2) It also has very little aroma to it and at the bottom of the glass it has a sugar like residue.
So any ideas? The help would be greatly appreciated. I will be honest one of my BIGGEST MISTAKES was I fail to take any notes. I realize now I should have.

1-How much sugar did you use, and what type of sugar?
2-When you say it tastes over carbed, does it appear over carbed? (pours only head, gushes out of bottle when uncapped, etc.)
3-How long has the beer been in the bottle?

Those priming tabs can get rather funky, stay away from them in the future.

Overcarbed, sounds like its more of a mouthfeel? As opposed to foam?

How long was it before you bottled the batch. 2 weeks. 3weeks ? 1week?

1) What is Taist?
2) One priming tab per bottle?
3) Does the glass fill with head or the bottle foam over when uncapped?
4) Have the bottles been conditioned for at least 2 weeks? Preferably 3 weeks.
5) Aroma, What hops did you use and when did you add them to the boil?

There are a lot of variables.

Residue in the bottom of the glass is normal - mostly yeast that have dropped out of solution.

Kh54s10 taist was a typo I meant taste.

The bottles have been conditioned for 3 wks in a dark place and I have not bothered them at all. When I pour the beer it looks as if it were a normal beer and has a nice head. When opening the bottle it sound and looks normal. The color of the beer is looks to be normal and it dose not appear to have anything floating in it. It's just the taste of over carbonation.
As far as sugar the brew store where I bought the kit said don't use any type of sugar are dextrose because the extract had all I needed in it, they did give me an extra 3lb of yeast and td me to use that.
Like I said my biggest mistake was not writing down what I did so I could answer everyone questions to see where I went wrong. Oh well I have more time too practice and that will improve my brewing technique.

What he said about sugar/dextrose is total BS. And you don't need to add yeast at bottle priming time unless the beer has been bulk aged for long time. Dextrose (corn sugar) is most commonly used. Table sugar works well,as does demerara sugar (raw cane sugar),Terbinado,palm sugar,& some others from around the world.
Just get a cheap digital scale,like the $20 one at Walmart to measure your priming sugar by weight. Here's a link to a priming calculator; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
The scale is also great for weighing hops,extracts,& other things to get your brews down more accurately. Just get the amount of priming sugar to style by weight. Then mix it with 1.5-2C of boiled water. Pour this into a bottling bucket & rack the beer onto that with the racking tube wrapped half way round the bottom of the bottling bucket. This induces some swirl to help mix the priming solution & beer.:mug:

"they did give me an extra 3lb of yeast"

Do you mean an extra 3lb of extract? Usually the yeast is in the ounces side if that.

The stuff that settles out on the bottom is probably yeast and hops particles, which is normal. Make sure to leave the last bit in the bottle so it doesn't end up in your glass. Will taste cleaner that way.

If the beer is carbed fine and pours fine, then the carb level you are sensing is just a mouth feel thing. It will probably settle out over time.

I was wondering,& forgot to ask,how much fridge time did the bottles get? 1 week is def better than a couple hours to a couple of days. 2 weeks is even better,giving thicker head & longer lasting carbonation. I've been using increasingly longer chilling times as an experiment in what length of time works best for what beers. Lighter,darker,mid gravity,higher gravity...that sort of thing.
Amount of priming sugar solution is also important to the style of beer,& what volume of co2 is best for said style's flavor/aroma profile. Less carbonation for malty beers,like English bitter,higher carbonation for APA or IPA's for example.

Tall_Yotie yes I did mean to say extract.

Unionrdr thank you for the information. It will defiantly help with my next batch

Maybe it was a single 3lb yeast. Like a Chihuahua-sized yeast:

Giant_Colony_WY3068-1.jpg

Or:

bacteria-yeast.jpg

It's not even Krausen....the site I found it stated that it was a massive yeast colony, so basically the biggest yeast raft ever!

Sometimes my fruit beers can have an over carbed taste/twang to them when the are still green. I am assuming you are making a nice easy poor and leaving the setiment in the bottles behind?

Zalf yes I am leaving the sediment in the bottle. I am currently reading The Complete Joy of Home Brewing 3rd Edition. I have decided not to brew another batch until I get threw the intermediate chapters. So with that being said I'm half way complete with the book.

How much of that 3 lbs of extract did you use to prime your bottles? I am thinking that might be the main factor.

Back