Pumpkin Porter recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know for sure, but that seems like too much. I've been researching pumpkin ales, and most call for a 10 lb fresh pumpkin (less after you gut it), or around 2 - 4 lbs. of canned pumpkin. I could be wrong because they might be trying to offset the rich flavor of a porter. I made a pumpkin porter last year. It was a mr. beer recipe, and only called for 1 can. that was of course a 2.5 gallon batch, but I could definitely taste the pumpkin. I wish there was a little more, but I'm sure that 2 cans would have done it. It's up to you on the amount of pumpkin flavor that you're looking for, but 7.5 lbs does seem like a bit much.

7.5 lbs of pumpkin, in the mash, for a 5 gallon batch? I have no pumpkin experience, but from what I've heard, good luck on the sparge!

where did you get canned pumpkin this early? online? I've been looking at all of my local grocery stores, and haven't seen it yet.

drewbeta, I had to go to four different stores before I found some! I remember last year there was some sort of pumpkin shortage the year before. Don't know if that is the case this year, but stores around here have canned pumpkin pie mix though.

BTY I grew up in Palos Heights! Small world.

I actually just found canned pumpkin at the Jewel in Palos Heights yesterday... I'm thinking about stocking up for next year as well, because the shelf life is like 2 years.

Are you using pumpkin pie mix? I saw that a couple weeks ago, but it had a bunch of extra ingredients in there (I think including some sort of preservative).

Use the regular plain canned pumpkin, NOT the pumpkin pie mix. I've used McCormick's pumpkin pie spice in my previous pumpkin ale and it turned out fantastic.

Back