k-meta ruined my hard lemonade ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von-block

Reaction score
Hello, I just made a 3 gallons batch of hard lemonade from yooper.

Everything was perfect, it tasted very good and the SWMBO for the first time like the alcohol I made. When the Og was at 1.030 I tried to stop the fermentation by putting it in a refrigerator.

I also have the idea to put K-meta in it, I saw that for 5 gallons batch you need to put 1/4 ts. I still don't have a campdem tablet so I put the Meta using my brain logic and eyes.

One day later it is horrible, the good lemonade now smell sulphur a lot and taste it too.

My question is, do I have ruined my lemonade forever or is the smell going to stop. I read that usually this sulphur smell go away, but how should I do that, do I need to poor the lemonade in a bucket to aerate it (Now the lemonade is in 3 one gallon plastic bottle) ??

Any advise.

Thank

Does it smell like farts? If so, the K-meta is not the problem. That is caused by stressed out yeast.

Does it smell like farts? If so, the K-meta is not the problem. That is caused by stressed out yeast.

It smell like sulphur.

I am quite sure it's the K-meta because I have another gallon without it and it taste good (They go through the same step exept for the metabisulfite at the end)

agreed, the sulfite will vent out.

but, good luck "stopping" fermentation with a bit of cold and a dash of k-meta. even sorbating won't 100% prevent renewed fermentation.

Like the others said, let it sit and vent out to get rid of the sulfur. And just remember, don't do that anymore! You can try getting a long sanitized stainless spoon or dowel and stirring up the lemonade- that will help disipate the sulfur smell.

Campden doesn't kill yeast, and that's why winemakers use it. It's a preservative and antioxidant, and wine yeast is very tolerant of sulfites. In order to add enough to kill the yeast, you'd have to render the wine/hard lemonade completely undrinkable with sulfur flavor/smell.

Thank everyone, after 24 hours the smell is already better, and it almost no longueur taste bad.

@ Yooper

Yeah I know, I will never do that again, it's just that, for that lemonade I didn't want to bottle it, so I thought if a put some K-meta in it, the fermentation will slow down and I would be able to drink the 3 gallons in 1-2 month with a taste of real sugar.

Anyway Thank, next time I will bottle my stuff.

Back