Final Gravity after 8 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DemonIAm

Reaction score
So I brewed 2 Sundays ago, and all went pretty well. My OG was supposed to be 1.046, and I hit 1.050. Today, I had to move the carboy, as the temp in the back bathroom was a little high (73-75*). While moving it, I decided to thief out a bit and check the gravity.

Much to my surprise, the gravity is sitting on 1.010, which is the exact number that the recipe called for. I tasted it, and it has the flavor of the original beer, maybe a little bit of alcohol note on the end. Nevertheless, it's still good.

Should I start thinking about bottling it, or sit on it for another week, or longer? The airlock is bubbling about once every 16 seconds, so something is still a-happening.

Also, the temps shot up unexpectedly today, and the beer was reading 75* when I came home. I've got it down to 72* now, and it'll probably drop tonight. I should be good, right.

If there are still bubbles then you shouldn't bottle, fermentation still going, could spell bottle bombs. If you take a reading in 2 days and it is the same value then fermentation is done. And even then, best to let it sit for a week or so to clear and condition a bit before bottling so you get a better taste.

You should be fine for temps. Give the brew some more time to settle out.

If you have it timed to 16 seconds.... you need to chill, you're getting too anal.

Forget whatever the recipes and "directions" said.

When it seems to get clear and slow after a week or so let it go another week minimum then bottle. Better yet let it go 2-3 weeks.

It will be good beer, just let it be.

Just because the beer isn't bubbling doesn't mean the ferment is over, just that the easy stuff is done. Leaving it longer allows the yeast time to go on to the harder compounds and break them down too. I've been leaving mine for 3 weeks in the primary fermenter and I like the results. If I had a bit more patience, I'd leave it for 4 or 5 weeks.

I am not disagreeing with the folks who said to let it for a while.
I certainly don't want to kick that hornets nest.
But yea fermentation can be done in 8 days.
You have 80% attenuation it probably won't go much lower.

most of my ferments are done in by 8 days, but let is sit for atleast 3 weeks, the yeast will clean up the beer, more yeast will drop so it will be clearer, and you'll be happier with the outcome in the long run.

second, bubbling doesn't mean there is still fermenting, it just means there is gas coming out of the bucket/carboy. with the higher temps, the gas in the fermenter is expanding and pushing out the airlock and its likely your beer is releasing some co2 that was in solution.

I have not seen "active fermentation" since I last posted. The gravity is sitting at 1.012 right now. There's an odd tinge, that I don't remember last time almost like a vodka aftertaste (and no, I didn't dump the airlock into the carboy). We did have a night where the carboy temp dropped to 64* Otherwise, it tastes good. I'm thinking I should let it sit till Saturday, to give it a full 3 weeks fermentation. Maybe longer?

I am a firn believe of the 3 weeks before bottling; gives the best flavor than anything shorter. For the aftertaste, it is most likely that it is just young and needs to mellow out. I would say it is good to bottle up Saturday, then give it some time to condition and carb up. In another 3 weeks from Saturday it should be just fine.

Don't rush it. . . . . . make sure fermentation is finished by hydrometer readings. Then relax and be comfortable in going ahead with bottling. My last beer sat in the primary for four weeks before it was ready........

NRS

In beer hell, there are no hydrometers. All fermentation is measured by airlocks. And it's too hot for even belgians.

Cowboy up and bottle that bad boy - 3 weeks is plenty of time. If you leave it in for a month you're just showing off.

if you can, agitate your carboy a bit without too much splashing. stir up those sunken yeasties and make sure they've gotten all they can. a little tilting, jostling, rolling on the edge, whatever you can. I thought my bock was done fermenting as the gravity stalled around target gravity, but I gave the bucket some agitation once every day for a few days and it would always start kicking off a few bubbles in the airlock. it has dropped about .006 in the past week.

Latest posts

Back