Frozen beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_

Reaction score
So got home last night and decided I'd go pour myself a glass of my peach american wheat. Well when I got downstairs to the keezer only a couple of drops came out. I was a bit disappointed but figured it was floated during my last pool party so poured a glass of ESB. Well I didn't think much about it until I went to take the keg out of the freezer to start cleaning it. There was still a third of a keg worth of beer in there but it was completely frozen.

Now my temp sensor is currently reading 40 degrees and that was the only one of four kegs that were frozen or even had the slightest bit of ice formation. Any ideas on what the heck is going on or better yet a solution to get more consistent cooling?

Where is the temp sensor located in the freezer. Is it possible that the lower part of the keg is that much cooler than where your probe is?

This.. make sure the probe is at the bottom of the freezer or set it at a higher temp. There is a huge temp differential in keezers top to bottom. Was the one that froze the lowest ABV, or closest to the cooling coils (normally the front of the freezer)?

This.. make sure the probe is at the bottom of the freezer or set it at a higher temp. There is a huge temp differential in keezers top to bottom. Was the one that froze the lowest ABV, or closest to the cooling coils (normally the front of the freezer)?

Lowest ABV, all four are touching the sides but this one was on the rear left (opposite side from the compressor). Sensor has been hanging in the space where all four kegs meet about half way down the keg right now it's open air but will likely be breaking open an ice pack, adding the jell to a mason jar and putting the sensor in that.

Lowest ABV would explain why only the one froze, and if it had lower thermal mass due to being half full... I think you are on the right track with the gell, just put it as low as you can get it, so the temp you set is the coldest in the keezer. Have you done an independent test of the sensor with another thermometer? I had one that was 11 degrees off, which could cause problems as well.

Lowest ABV would explain why only the one froze, and if it had lower thermal mass due to being half full... I think you are on the right track with the gell, just put it as low as you can get it, so the temp you set is the coldest in the keezer. Have you done an independent test of the sensor with another thermometer? I had one that was 11 degrees off, which could cause problems as well.

Haven't done an independent test yet but as soon as I get the gel set up I'll test that (figure there's no use trying it with just the ambient air temp in the freezer)

You might consider adding a little fan inside the keezer. It'll move the air around a bit and should keep the overall temperature inside more consistent. From what I've read, you can wire it up so that the fan comes on anytime the compressor is running.

Back