Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackAle1

Reaction score
I started my second batch on Sunday and everything went well. (much smoother than 1st brew).

I'm brewing a Red Cedar Ale with Wyest 1728 scottish ale yeast (it's what came with the extract kit)

I got everything all set with the fermentor and got an OG a little lower than I wanted at 1.047.

About 12 hours after pitching I was getting huge bubbles in the primary and was excited that I was 2 for 2 in making beer.

The problem is now only 30 hours after the bubbles began they have completely stopped.

Any suggestions? do I need to add more yeast?

The fermentor has been at a pretty consistent 70 degrees (that's as low as I can get it.)

thanks

The two most likely scenarios:

1) Primary fermentation is over. This is absolutely possible in 30 hours.
2) There's a gas leak in your fermenter. Happens a lot with buckets. It's not a big deal since the updraft from the CO2 will keep bugs out.

As we say many times here, bubbling is not a good indicator of fermentation. The hydrometer will tell you for sure. My suggestion - do nothing. Wait 2 weeks and test the gravity. If it is at or near your expected FG, let it sit at least 1 weeks longer. If it is not, test it over the next couple of days to see if the gravity is still going down. If it is not, then worry about a stalled fermentation.

Just let it be and you should be fine. I have seen explosive fermentation with some yeast, and after the airlock starts bubbling, it might nearly stop after less than two days. I still see a bubble escape the airlock every 10-20 seconds for a couple days after that at which time the yeast are just beginning to clean up scraps and your beer is really just conditioning which doesn't produce CO2.

Your gravity isn't too high at only 1.047 so you shouldn't have to worry about a stuck fermentation.

You could always sanitize a wine theif and take a gravity reading just to be sure.

My opinion is don't worry. I brewed a brown ale on Sat, and actually pitched a 1L vigorous starter of Wyeast British ale at 12:30 am Sunday. It was beginning to ferment by the time I woke up (7:30 am) had a nice krausen and primary fermentation by late morning, through the afternoon and into the evening. By later evening, krausen was starting to fall and by monday morning, krausen had pretty much fallen and primary fermentation is done. I am still getting bubbles every 10-20seconds. However don't mistake a lack of a bubbling airlock as the end of fermentation.

Give it some time and check the gravity--the only reliable way to tell if fermentation is complete is to take a gravity reading--really 3 readings over 3 days. And don't worry.

thanks everyone, as always this is the best medicine for an over anxious beginner like myself, It was bubbling pretty vigorously, and I think maybe it may have just popped the lid a bit on the bucket. The first night it was making a loud (almost bass drum) like sound with every bubble so this wouldn't surprise me.

So far I've made a black ale and this red ale; I don't have lagering capability and I'm not a huge fan of IPA's (there I said it) I'm thinking about going partial mash with my next brew, what would be the easiest style of beer to do for the partial mash. I was thinking a nut brown ale or english bitter ale.

...I'm not a huge fan of IPA's (there I said it)

Don't worry, neither am I :mug:

I'm thinking about going partial mash with my next brew, what would be the easiest style of beer to do for the partial mash. I was thinking a nut brown ale or english bitter ale.

Those would be fine. I guess if you were to stay away from anything, I'd stay away from beers that have lots of protein like wheat beers. It is supposedly easier to get a stuck sparge with them, though I've never had problems.

In truth, you really can't go wrong with any style. Unless you don't like it. So don't do an IPA :p

Or you could brew an IPA and I could stop by and drink it for you...

What part of Phoenix are you from? I'm in Gilbert...

Back