Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinny

Reaction score
I switched to kegging this week. I put 5 gallons of Oktoberfest in a corny that was cleaned with oxyclean and sanitized with star sans. I took all the valves apart, put in new o-rings, all the lines, everything I could think of. I forced carbed it and started drinking it. It was the best beer I have ever made, crystal clear and really good...for three days. Now it is cloudy and tastes totally different, all in 24hrs. All I can think of is some kind of infection, but I have no idea where it could have come from. Anyone have any ideas?

It's been at 35 since I kegged it. It's got Wyeast Munich Lager 2308 in an extract Oktoberfest kit. The best way I can think of to describe the taste is a lack of malt flavor with an almost sour aftertaste.

I ended up taking it to a local club meeting and got some different feedback. Several people said it was a good beer, and I agree. It was still good, just not what it once was. A BJCP judge told me it tasted like it got some wild yeast contamination during racking to the keg. I took everything apart again and checked it out and it looks like there was some yeast caked in the plastic tip of my auto siphon. So it looks like I need to pay more attention to my cleaning. Luckily it didn't totally ruin the batch. It must have been pretty good, since it only lasted 10 days on tap..... :drunk:

It is really interesting, as my octoberfest did something really similiar... but it has calmed down after another 10 days. It still has not cleared, but the taste is improving. Mine was done on an ale yeast though.

I am really sorry I did not see your followup message... I forgot to look and it just popped in my posts tonight when you reposted.

I was really curious to see if yours was related to my mine with yeast etc.

I guess we both know we need to be patient... !! And clean.

:mug:

Back