Just Another Brew Day...(Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BM, this look great, I am going to give it a shot this Saturday subing the S-05 for WLP400 and I was thinking of mashing at 150. I figure there is going to be so much fruity flavor, I may want it to finish a little lower on the gravity. Maybe I'll go in the middle, 152, who knows, anyways....thanks for the recipe.

:mug:

A little afternoon refresher:

IMG_5956.JPG

Did you just use a single infusion mash? Most of the Wit recipes I have seen seem to have some kind of step mash.

Single infusion is fine with flaked wheat since flaked wheat is torrified and then pressed, gelatanizing the starches. I use raw wheat in my Wit which requires a protein rest to gelatanize the starches.

BM you should put this in the recipe database, I haven't made it yet (planning on doing it soon) but this looks like a real winner around here. I liked your blue moon clone a lot but felt like it was a bit too light on flavor, this recipe looks like the right balance.

Only tweak would be if you had some wit yeast...otherwise no modifications.

Alright then! I have my strike water heating now, I smacked my wit yeast last night and its good to go (I know, I know, starters are good too)

This should be a good one!

Yay for all you more experienced brewers posting pics and recipes. I brewed this recipe last weekend and it's a-bubbling away. Only differences in my brew were that I used a yeast cake of Wyeast 3944 from another wit I just bottled, halved the recipe to a 5 gallon and used whole chamomile flowers from a specialty tea shop rather than tea bags.

Thank you Biermuncher this sounds delicious.

I was look for a Beer like this after having a pint of Flying Dog Woody Creek. It had a great orange taste.

Any idea how I can make and Extract brew

Nice easy brew! I even wandered off while it was boiling since there is only one hop addition and then the spices...it smells fantastic, hit 1.050 OG and pitched 1010 (I think, American Wheat.....)

Bier, it looks like you went from brew day to keg in about three weeks. How is it?

It's nice to know you can get away with s-05 in this instead of the wit yeast. I'm not too picky but I am definetly cheap and at $7.25 a pop at my LHBS for liquid yeast I'll sub the dry for just drinking around the house.

Lately in my American Wheat I have put s-04 in and ferment high to get some fruity-ness. I'll be trying it in my wit recipe in a few brews.

Ordering ingredients today, going with 3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast.. Any one used this yeast before? yay or nay comments on it?
Described as :
"A tart, slightly phenolic character capable of producing distinctive witbiers and grand cru-style ales alike. Alcohol tolerant. Apparent attenuation: 72-76%. Flocculation: medium. Optimum temp: 62°-75° F"

Sounds like it would go well here.

Also BeerSmith does not have White Wehat. Anyone know the Diastatic power? I'm going to be scaling this down. Or does Wheat not contribute sugars??

Alright just ordered ingredients along with some extra malt and yeast to go along with my left overs from my phat tire clone. Brewing this up first hopefully next weekend.

Alright. nOOb here to AG. What is "flaked wheat" I just looked it up at the LHBS and all they have is; light wheat, dark wheat, caramel wheat malt, and un-malted wheat. Which one is "flaked wheat", or a good substitute?

Alright. nOOb here to AG. What is "flaked wheat" I just looked it up at the LHBS and all they have is; light wheat, dark wheat, caramel wheat malt, and un-malted wheat. Which one is "flaked wheat", or a good substitute?

None of those are flaked wheat. :(

If someone held a gun to my head for a ready substitute, I'd settle for quick oats...as in quick oats oatmeal from the grocery store.

You could use the unmalted wheat, but you'll need to boil those grains for a time and introduce them to the rest of the mash. The starches need to be gelatinized in order for them to be accessible to the enzymes.

As this is BM's recipe, I'll go with his recommendation though. ;)

Has anyone ever used a trappist yeast in a wheat beer, like say white labs 530?

Depends on what kind of wheat beer you're making. There's a wit yeast for that kind of profile, but if you want to try it, give it a shot. I just made a blonde using the 530 with American hops and it came out pretty nice. No harm in trying!

None of those are flaked wheat. :(

If someone held a gun to my head for a ready substitute, I'd settle for quick oats...as in quick oats oatmeal from the grocery store.

Weetabix is a good sub for flaked wheat, if your grocery store carries it (or if you have a World Market/British goods store near you--the Aussie/NZ "Weetbix" is essentially the same).

Nice easy brew! I even wandered off while it was boiling since there is only one hop addition and then the spices...it smells fantastic, hit 1.050 OG and pitched 1010 (I think, American Wheat.....)

How was this with the 1010? Thinking about brewing it tomorrow and I'm just curious if it was too sour/tart or if it turned out well.

I think I am finally going to get to brew this brew this weekend and will be using WLP400. Can't wait, going to the store to get the oranges tonight and start my starter.

Missed my mash temp at 149...What will this do to this beer?

Yeah, I missed my mash temp too, well I should say that it dropped more that I wanted too during the 1hr mash. This hasn't happened before. I tried to hit 154 and hit 152 and was 149 by the end of the hour. Anyways, I just left it for a few more minutes and sparged really hot.

On the plus side I nailed my preboil gravity on the nose 1.041 (I set the beer based on 85% efficiency too) and about 20 minutes into the boil now.

Even I brewed it for sometime and tasted delicious. Its a more creamy and robust in flavor. Seems like an excellent idea. Kudos mate.!

Well despite missing my mash temp and having a brain fart during sparge and forgetting how to count (added a gallon of water thinking I was short on to realize I wasn't) I missed og by 4 point coming in at 1042. I did boil for 90 minutes on a recomendation from FyGuy about a low simmering boil for 90minutes on wits/wheats. Should be a nice light refreshing summer brew which is what I was looking for. Hooked up a blow off tube to start and my runoff jug was filling nicely yesterday. She seems to have slowed this morning to steady bubbling with no more kraussen creeping out. I'll throw a standard airlock tonight and let her finish. Hydro sample tasted very refreshing. Looking for ward to see what my yeast and some carbonation do to this beer!

I brewed this Saturday and was pretty successful but what was weird is that I hit my pre-boil gravity spot on at 1.041 and my OG after the boil was suppose to be 1.047 but I ended at 1.045. I boiled about 1.5 gallons off during the boil.

Any ideas on this?

At any rate though, I pitched the yeast at 3:30P yesterday and there was a nice 2 inch krausen this morning :) I have a blow off tube hooked up just in case it decides to go crazy.

I brewed a 5-gallon batch of this over the weekend as my 2nd all-grain. Everything went really well. Hit my OG within a point or two and it is bubbling away happily in the basement.

I ended up zesting 4 large oranges which in hindsight was probably one or two too many. I didn't weigh the zest before adding to the boil, but it sure looked like a lot of orange peel. First page of the thread mentions 8 large oranges for the 11 gallon batch but later is looks like BM used 5-6...not too worried about it though. The airlock and surrounding area smells like an orange cream wine cooler. My girlfriend is excited about this brew.

I took a keg of this to Easter yesterday, and it was the first beer I have ever taken to a gathering that the keg was completely kicked by the end. :rockin: guess I'll need to make this again soon.

Well thank you, you are the genius that made the recipe for this wonderful beer. Oh by the way I entered it in my first homebrew comp as well so we'll see how that goes.

I brewed a 5-gallon batch of this over the weekend as my 2nd all-grain. Everything went really well. Hit my OG within a point or two and it is bubbling away happily in the basement.

I ended up zesting 4 large oranges which in hindsight was probably one or two too many. I didn't weigh the zest before adding to the boil, but it sure looked like a lot of orange peel. First page of the thread mentions 8 large oranges for the 11 gallon batch but later is looks like BM used 5-6...not too worried about it though. The airlock and surrounding area smells like an orange cream wine cooler. My girlfriend is excited about this brew.

It took me 2 large oranges for the 5G batch. You'll just be extra orangey.:mug:

Back