For mini-keg users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you have tried force carbing? My HBS gave me some pressure bungs that he had left over. (They had a vent in the center piece that supposedly released excess pressure.) I used one and it released all pressure, not just excess. So I had a cold keg and I tried force carbing by adding pressure and swirling around several times over the course of two days.

My beers taste a tad flat but they are pouring with a very nice head that stays nicely on the beer. I won't try force carbing as a rule but in a pinch it is working out.

Those 5L mini-kegs can't handle the pressure of force-carbing. You either have to go the BMBF route or use priming sugar to carb.

au contraire!

I have successfully force carbed in a mini keg.

It involves a very complicated piece of equipment made from a valve stem and a SS washer. I would post pictures...

But alas I am druck

:drunk:

Those 5L mini-kegs can't handle the pressure of force-carbing. You either have to go the BMBF route or use priming sugar to carb.

I wasn't really asking if it could handle force carbing. I was saying that it does an okay job at force carbing. The 16gram cartridge didn't really tax the keg. The pressure might not force the ideal amount of co2 into solution but it does force enough to make it drinkable.

I should say that I am using the Party Star tap.

Back