Chest freezer models for conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothdaddy

Reaction score
I want to convert a chest freezer into a kegerator, but everything I've found through a search includes building a collar to allow for the height of the kegs.

Are there any freezer models that are large enough to handle a keg without a collar?

yes most are but then you have to go with towers or risk drilling through the front where there could be coils.

Here is mine with no collar:

4 most popular on tap and 6 others on picnic taps inside.

Kegerator_002.jpg

IMG_3321.JPG

I did a lot of looking around when I was shopping for my freezer, and I don't think I saw a single one that wouldn't fit kegs height-wise. Maybe not on the hump, but always in the bottom. Pin or ball lock, they all had plenty of clearance with no collar. Collars are mainly for adding more headspace, or for those who don't want to drill through the freezer (top or front, back, wherever).

I have a Danby.... 1014WE - or at least the 1996 version of the same. The current model is exactly the same, however, so I can at least attest that they last pretty good. I believe the current version even has the same compressor as mine. The only difference I could see was that the new ones have locks.

When you're shopping for one, you will need to decide what type of kegs you want, pin or ball lock, and measure to make sure you can fit them in the way you want. I think most of the models I looked at would fit two ball lock kegs side by side (front to back rather) but some would not fit two pin lock.

surfbrewer said:
Beeriffic - what size collar did you install on your keezer? Did you use 2x6's, 1x6's, etc? Thanks for the help.

Cheers

1x8's

I would measure your cornies to see if the 1x6's would work. I have a little bit of trouble reaching the bottom of the freezer over the collar. But, attach the collar to the lid and that would not be a problem.

I recently converted a 5cu ft freezer to kegerator using a collar similar to these pictured.
I found that a bicycle intertube stapled to the bottom of the collar makes a great seal without caulk. The collar can be lifted off along with the attached lid in order to get to the bottom of the freezer with ease.

I've not seen a chest freezer that won't fit cornies as is. Collars are used to give an easy place to mount faucets or to allow kegs on the hump, or both. Even though I went with a tower I still made a collar so that I could fit 4 kegs instead of just two.

Back