Simcoe/Amarillo IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coupleathree

Reaction score
I really like the way that Simcoe and Amarillo work together so I want to brew an IPA that really lets them shine. This is what I came up with. Any thoughts?

Method: All Grain
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

12 lb American - Pale 2-Row
0.5 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat

1 oz Simcoe Pellet 12.7 Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 30 min
0.5 oz Simcoe Pellet 12.7 Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 5 min
0.5 oz Simcoe Pellet 12.7 Boil 5 min
0.5 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 0 min
0.5 oz simcoe Pellet 12.7 Boil 0 min

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes
Batch Sparge
Ferment with us-05

OG 1.061 FG 1.017

75 IBU's

Personally I would use a good clean bitter hop at 60 and use the Simcoe and Amarillo late. Other than bitterness you won't get much out of the Simcoe at 60. Or if you have more Simcoe and Amarillo you could do all late hopping.

:mug:

Good point. I do like Simcoe for bittering though. I will add another 1 oz. Simcoe hop addition at 5 minutes. It will add a little to the IBU's, but not too much. Seem reasonable?

My Surly Furious clone added 1/4 oz of Amarillo and Simcoe at 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, and flameout. It still smells and tastes amazing and I brewed in April. It also had 1.5 oz of each in dry hop along with some Ahtanum. That beer bucket is just now starting to lose it's green glow :)

Any dry hopping? I would probably do 2-3 ounces of Simcoe/Amarillo dry hops as well.

I'd definitely move that ounce of amarillo at 30min to flameout. Maybe do a combo of the two at 15min as well. I'd shoot for about 5oz in the boil, most of which added at very late in the boil, and at least 3oz dry hop. Also, 1.017 seems like quite a high OG for an IPA. I'd mash at 149 or so and hope it dries out to about 1.011ish.

Just my two cents. Enjoy the brew.

My Surly Furious clone added 1/4 oz of Amarillo and Simcoe at 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, and flameout. It still smells and tastes amazing and I brewed in April. It also had 1.5 oz of each in dry hop along with some Ahtanum. That beer bucket is just now starting to lose it's green glow :)

Hey, can you share that Surly Furious recipe? I had that beer when I was up north and LOVED it!

i think it looks good the way you have it honestly. simcoe isn't typically used as a bittering hop but at ~13% AA and very low cohumulone it looks like a good candidate on paper.

Back