Help with a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awadepharmd

Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for quite a while, but now I was hoping that I might get some assistance from some that have more experience than me. I have been brewing and bottling my own beer for a while.
I recently built a bar in my basement and would love to put a tap on the back counter. Ideally I would store the mini fridge below my counter (36 inches tall and 18 inches deep.
I think I want to keep my CO2 canister on the outside to save on space and use 2 2.5 gallon corny kegs in the fridge (I will be the only one drinking and don't think I can get through 5 gallons each month). This is where it gets interesting, I want to install my tower on the wood counter top and have the fridge sit below the counter. How do I insulate the lines leading out from the fridge up to the tower?
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
I attached a picture of my bar, I want to put the tower next to the ice maker on the back counter (the big silver thing).

Bar.jpg

Can't really help with your keg set-up but your bar looks great.:mug:

Why each month. you do know that a keg will stay good for several months. I don't remember how long but it is long enough to through a few 5 gallons on your own

I'm building my keg-orator right now as well.
I am planning on running my lines through a short piece of 3" pvc between the top of the fridge and bottom of the tower. I am going to insulate it with spray foam.

That's my plan. Maybe someone that's done it before will chime in with a better one.

I was under the assumption that once you tap a keg it is only good for a month or so. Am I incorrect about this?

awadepharmd said:
I was under the assumption that once you tap a keg it is only good for a month or so. Am I incorrect about this?

I don't believe this to be true. I've had big beers on co2 in a keg and they haven't really started to get good for 3-4 months. I had an imperial stout on tap for 7 months and it kept getting better until I kicked it. Then I was really sad :(

I would run copper pipe inside the PVC and run your beer lines in the copper. That is how I ran my tower and used spray foam to insulate.

If you have the room and the right spot, why run the lines outside the kegerator. Why not just build the kegerator up to the bottom side of the bar top and run the tower through with no lines.

Yes you are. basically because your beer is blanketed with CO2 and as long as your keg has a good seal it won't oxidize the taste will change but it won't really go bad. like you can find on HBT some people have had kegs for quite a while. And how do you think some are able to have 6 or more taps without wasting and without being drunk all the time. This is not commercial beer homebrew ages well not bud.

This was my 2 cents, hope you enjoy and can't wait to see what you will do. 'cause that bar looks amazing.:mug:

What you need to do is position the keg below the location of the taps. Get a three to four inch PVC pipe and run it out of the top of the keggor I to the tap. Place a dc computer fan at the bottom of the fan. It will keep the tower cold for long servings.

Back