bad day brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
first i got doubled charged on the order.
then started out the day by falling on the fermating bucket and now i have a huge bruise on my ribs.
then i open the fridge and a home brew falls on the ground and breaks. i step on a piece of glass and cut my foot open.
now the beer acts like it doesnt want to ferm.
well now i know not to drink 6 homebrews lol!!!

I've had some bad brew days, but this beats mine - probably turn out to be the best batch you ever made, though!

What do you mean by "it acts like it doesn't want to ferm?" Are you saying the airlock isn't bubbling, because that's not the same thing. Beers ferment regardless of if you see any "activity." It's not about airlocks, or even krausens, only about points on a hydrometer. Fermentation is not always "dynamic" it doesn't give you "signs."

An airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it's a valve, a vent to release EXCESS co2. Sometimes there's not "excess" co2, just enough to fill the headspace. OR it gets out through a leaky seal, either way it doesn't matter. An Airlock really is nothing more than something to keep from blowing the lid on the fermenter, it shouldn't be used to tell you whether or not a beer is fermenting, because 99.999% of the time the beer IS fermenting, whether or not something stupid piece of plastic goes, "blip blip bloop."

What do you mean by "it acts like it doesn't want to ferm?" Are you saying the airlock isn't bubbling, because that's not the same thing. Beers ferment regardless of if you see any "activity." It's not about airlocks, or even krausens, only about points on a hydrometer. Fermentation is not always "dynamic" it doesn't give you "signs."

An airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it's a valve, a vent to release EXCESS co2. Sometimes there's not "excess" co2, just enough to fill the headspace. OR it gets out through a leaky seal, either way it doesn't matter. An Airlock really is nothing more than something to keep from blowing the lid on the fermenter, it shouldn't be used to tell you whether or not a beer is fermenting, because 99.999% of the time the beer IS fermenting, whether or not something stupid piece of plastic goes, "blip blip bloop."

Always a good thing to repost- I like the sig of (whoever) that goes: "Airlock" is not an alternative spelling for "hydrometer."

Back