GE 7 cu. ft. chest freezer FCM7SUWW on sale for $178 at Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. Home Depot contracts out a delivery service so they're not actual Home Depot employees. They seemed very happy to receive it.

I live with my girlfriend and she is pretty small so it's much easier having it delivered. It's free too, so I save myself the trouble of picking it up myself.

When I received it I noticed a couple small dents in the side. Delivery guys said they could get me refunded $80 because of them. So I ended up paying less than $100 for it.

If I get another for a fermentation chamber, I hope it has dents too!

From what I've seen in other keezer builds, 4 ball locks fit in there tightly. I only have 3 kegs at the moment.

I went to home depot today and looked at this freezer. It looks like it will hold 4 ball lock kegs easy (without a tight fit). I used cardboard cut outs to test.

I went to home depot today and looked at this freezer. It looks like it will hold 4 ball lock kegs easy (without a tight fit). I used cardboard cut outs to test.

No, its really tight, but its do-able. I have this freezer.

IIRC there is a 7.4 model that is perfect.

Pondering getting another for a fermentation chamber... hmm...

Yeah.. me too now. Damn you! LOL

Paulgs3 said:
No, its really tight, but its do-able. I have this freezer.

IIRC there is a 7.4 model that is perfect.

Yeah.. me too now. Damn you! LOL

Agree. 4 is VERY tight.

Picked one up yesterday, $178.00! Can't afford not to buy it. Oh, mine is for a fermentation chamber. Digital Johnson Temp. control ordered and on the way.

I just bought one too. I've heard that you can fit five ball locks with a collar. All I have right now are pin locks, and it will only hold four (and will need a collar).

ICWGq.jpg

I just ordered one for my fermentation chamber and wondering how many carboys I can fit in it. Now I'm realizing that my tall skinny 6 gallon fermenter is better than my squat and fat 6.5 gallon one.

I just ordered one for my fermentation chamber and wondering how many carboys I can fit in it. Now I'm realizing that my tall skinny 6 gallon fermenter is better than my squat and fat 6.5 gallon one.

I've fit 2 6 gal BB carboys in there for cold crashing and there was room to spare.

I completely forgot about figuring in a collar for spacing. I've squeezed 4 ball locks in there, not using the hump nor a collar and it was very very tight. I had a hard time getting it back out. I Can see getting 5 in there with a tall collar and using the hump.

just had this guy delivered to my place and i'm chilling it down on the "1" setting.. my plan right now is to use it as storage for a brew I just bottled last night. Do you think that'll work? or should I leave it off ?

just had this guy delivered to my place and i'm chilling it down on the "1" setting.. my plan right now is to use it as storage for a brew I just bottled last night. Do you think that'll work? or should I leave it off ?

It's a freezer. Unless you have a temperature controller on there, even at "1", it's going to freeze your beer.

I impulse-bought one just because of this thread. I appropriated your GE 7 footer for a keg/fermentation fridge, so now I will have 2 matching ones, including one which is actually a freezer.

I've just purchased one myself and it'll be delivered on Tuesday. The price is hard to beat, so I went for it. Starting to second guess my decision, though.

I'm planning on using this as my fermentation chamber (temp controller's on the way) but I ferment in a 15.5 gal keg. In the Q/A section on Home Depot's website, I've seen a few different measurements thrown around, one which essentially says it'll fit my 15.5 keg, another that says it won't by less than half an inch.

Anyone out there have this freezer (advertised as GE 7.0 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White; Model # FCM7SUWW) and a 15.5 keg and can let me know if this is going to work or not for me? I'd very much appreciate it.

If it doesn't work, I reckon I can hold onto it and use it for when I keg.

Many thanks!

Just ordered one... Any modifications need to be made as a fermentation chamber for 6 gallon carboys besides a controller?

Which controller is best according to you guys?

And what is a collar?

I had bought one of these two weeks ago, and was able to get a refund on the difference yesterday, $54. That's another batch of homebrew. Woohoo!

seriously tempted by this - debating making a cold room with an ac or getting this. will be using it for fermentation chamber, usually only have 2-3 beers in fermenters at a time. would this hold 2 carboys and a corny (for secondary)??

this is such an awesome price. someone on another website mentioned using a movers coupon and getting it pricematched (in store) which takes off another 10%.

2 buckets fit perfectly, with just enough room for your johnson probe to fit in between the bucket cleavage...

And don't forget GE is the company which paid $0 in taxes in 2011, $0, that means everyone in this forum paid more in taxes than the multi-billion dollar company GE.

Lowes has one for 189, I'm pretty sure it was 179 in the store though, and it's made by holiday.

Hi, new here. Nice forum. Just wondering if this freezer has casters. Can't find that info on any site. Looks like it would make a nice keezer for me since I am only going to run a 2 tap tower with maybe a 5lb co2 on the hump. Appears to have ample height above the ball locks without building a collar. Appreciate any input. Rob

No casters. The interior floor is 24"x15" and the hump is 7.5"x15" along the right side. Interior height is about 27.5".

Just snagged one of these from Wal-Mart for $139.99. Looking forward to my first keezer build :rockin:

Has anyone used this chest freezer as both a warm/cool fermentation chamber?

If you have, can you post the details or recommendations to provide gentle heat inside this freezer to keep the chamber warmer during winter months?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back