Advice from all those who live in Boulder,Co

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheld00

Reaction score
So my brother and I are road tripping to Boulder to visit friends at the University for spring break. Me being the craft beer lover that I am I want to spend my week enjoying the local beer scene. I would love some suggestions as to what breweries and beers are your favorite beers from the area. Thanks Josh

Last time I was there I went to Coors (gotta go just to see the sheer size of the place.)

Also went to New Belgium and Odell Brewery. Both are really cool and very close to each other. Got to try the New Belgium IPA before it was released to the public which was sweet.

Last time I was there I went to Coors (gotta go just to see the sheer size of the place.)

Also went to New Belgium and Odell Brewery. Both are really cool and very close to each other. Got to try the New Belgium IPA before it was released to the public which was sweet.

Those are in Ft. Collins. Coors is in Golden, which is like 45-60 min away from Boulder

Thanks I will definitely have to check out Avery and as for Coors it will be a nice comparison to AB, I live in St. Louis and have gone on the tour at least five times.

Avery and Mountain Sun are my favorites in the boulder area for breweries. If you can get to Longmont (25 minutes) there is Oskar Blues and Lefthand.

For beer bars in Boulder, The West End Tavern has about 40 taps and a pretty decent bottle selection. Backcountry Pizza just opened and has 50 taps, but I haven't been yet, so I'm not sure what sort of selection they carry. Reuben's Bistro has a pretty good selection of Belgian beers too. If you can make it down to Denver, make sure to go to Great Divide Brewing Co. and the Falling Rock Tap House, both are awesome.

No love yet for Upslope - definitely a fun one to visit.

I did a bike to brewery tour last fall, these were on the route:
Southern Sun - brewpub (also have a location on Pearl St - Mt. Sun)
Avery
Twisted Pine
Upslope
Boulder Beer
Asher (organic)
Redstone Meadery (if you like mead)

Mt Sun/So. Sun and Avery are definite must sees. Upslope and Twisted Pine, both first time visits for me, really impressed me.

If you want to drive:
Oskar Blues
Lefthand
New Belgium
Odell's
Wynkoop
Great Divide

Enjoy

Tommyknocker Brewery - Idaho Springs, CO.

Great Imperial Nut Brown Ale and they usually have some on tap that they don't distribute.

Some repeats but short list and favorites in Boulder or 30 minutes away.

Avery - Boulder
Upslope - Boulder
Lefthand - Longmont
Oskar Blues - Longmont - newer location
Oskar Blues - Lyons - The original location. They like to tell you how unfiltered the beer is as they pour you some Gubna.
Golden - Golden City Brewery, the second largest brewery in Golden. It's right smack in the middle of town and they have some good stuff. If you actually do go to Coors make sure you go here.

Those are in Ft. Collins. Coors is in Golden, which is like 45-60 min away from Boulder

Golden is only 15 minutes from Boulder, fyi. Fort Collins is a little bit farther, but well worth the drive. O'Dell is one of my favorite brewery tours, much better than New Belgium.

Avery is definitely a must. The tour is whatever but the taproom is worth the visit. I haven't tried upslope or twisted pine but obviously they need to get on the list for my next visit. Longmont isn't too far away from Boulder if you want to make the short drive. You could hit Oskar Blues and Left Hand there.

Avery Tap Room - Hottest chicks serving beer in town for sure. Love that spot. And the beer is awesome. Tasters all night long.
Upslope - Nice clean spot with clean beers. Helmet party for servers but that might be good for some people.
Southern Sun - Hippy but good beers
Mountain Sun - Same as Southern but more hipster being off Pearl and what not. The new black chick working there wants to get down. You can smell it on her.
Backcountry Pizza - full of win
If headed to Schlongmont, hit the Bootstrap in Niwot as that's fun and new, really small but super friendly and the beer is decent. Oskar Liquids and Solids, lots of taps, good food but not that cheap. Some acceptable local sluts but not as nice as Avery by any means. Left Hand is OK but nothing crazy. Nice to have the Milk Stout on Nitro at the source.

And if you are in Denver, Falling Rock for sure. There are way more options if Denver bound but Boulder is a fun place.

We hit up Upslope, Backcountry Pizza and Avery last night. Had a couple pumpkins at Upslope, a fuseled out Stone 16 at Backcountry and a schitload of beers at Avery. I was bummed as the servers at Avery last night were all dudes. Only one hottie on staff last night and she wasn't our server. Oh well.

Avery and Mountain Sun are my favorites in the boulder area for breweries. If you can get to Longmont (25 minutes) there is Oskar Blues and Lefthand.

For beer bars in Boulder, The West End Tavern has about 40 taps and a pretty decent bottle selection. Backcountry Pizza just opened and has 50 taps, but I haven't been yet, so I'm not sure what sort of selection they carry. Reuben's Bistro has a pretty good selection of Belgian beers too. If you can make it down to Denver, make sure to go to Great Divide Brewing Co. and the Falling Rock Tap House, both are awesome.

this is the knowledge right here. I second everything he said.

We hit up the new place on Pearl, the West Flanders Brewing Co., where the old BJ's used to be, on their opening day last Sunday before the Furthur show at Red Rocks. The Angry Monk was OK but the Daisy Cutter and the dubbel were pretty bad. The food was good as were the servers (the little short one from Cali was kind of cute), but they need some time with the belgo beers. Not there yet.

They had a decent fresh tasting IPA but it was really cloudy/hazy. They claim they don't filter but hey at least cold crash the beer before serving it.

Back