Help creating a .ai, .eps, .dwg file

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StainlessBrewing

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a sign done from a waterjet cutting place but they're asking for .ai, .eps, .dwg types or a CAD file. I'm not completely dumb with computers and have used GIMP and Adobe a little bit but I have no clue what they're talking about. I assume it's the 3d dimensional drawing that requires a special program? Is this something I can do? Can anyone help a brewer out?

Those are files done in programs like Adobe Illustrator, Cored Draw, AutoCAD, etc. If the drawing is not too complicated I could hook you up with whatever you need. Or you could download a trial version of Illustrator and play around with it.

AutoCad has free student trials that you can use. The only problem is that it says "Student Trial" in the background of your drawings.

If you're looking for an artistic vector program go grab inkscape. It's fantastic - my favorite vector program.

If you're looking for something more precise you can still download a great 2D CAD program - Turbocad LE. It's unsupported but does a great job and will work well with .dxf.

No, gimp is a raster format.

The difference is that a raster format records what color each pixel should be while a vector format includes directions (vectors) for lines and colors. This means that vector formats can be scaled up and down.

GIMP does have more tools - since you need more tools to adjust drawings in a raster format. Think about inkscape more as a tool to assemble shapes - the intersction tools are extremely powerful.

What kind of image are you trying to build?

I'm trying to get my logo in that format to have it cut out of sheet metal on their CNC. I got in touch with them and they said they will draw it out for $35. Sound reasonable?

It will look kind of like this when cut.
finalblacka.png

By zjosey at 2012-08-23

Where did you get that logo? Do you have the original files? Should be pretty easy to modify / build.

Ah HA! I found the original zip that had a bunch of formats in it along with an .ai file. Hopefully they can get something done with that. I had somebody design the logo for me. Thanks for your help.

Back