Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this on May 23, had it in the keg on July 1, and my friends and I drank it all at my July 4th BBQ. From grain to glass to empty keg in less than 12 days! Great recipe if you need beer fast, thanks.

May 23rd brew date to July 4th is 43 days...

June 23rd to July 4th is 12 days.

:mug:

jbret said:
I've never used dry yeast before. The 11 gallon recipe calls for 1 pack of Nottingham. Will that be enough or do I need to make a starter with the 1 pack?

Your not supposed to make a starter with dry yeast ... (I have and it worked fine) mr malty.com has a yeast pitching calc....
Just rehydrate. And if biermuncher used one pack I would use one pack

I let this sit in the carboy for two weeks and three days. I also added enough water and boiled it for 90 minuets to get to the correct gravity. I adjusted my hop additions according to the boil. I took this out of the carboy last night and it was awesome. I could taste the citrus flavor balanced with the hops. It was really smooth no bite to it at all. I wonder if the 90 min of boil time made it smoother? I also cooled the wort with my plate chiller. I went from 212 degrees to 82 in 7 mins. I think that may have helped also.

photo.jpg

I let this sit in the carboy for two weeks and three days. I also added enough water and boiled it for 90 minuets to get to the correct gravity. I adjusted my hop additions according to the boil. I took this out of the carboy last night and it was awesome. I could taste the citrus flavor balanced with the hops. It was really smooth no bite to it at all. I wonder if the 90 min of boil time made it smoother? I also cooled the wort with my plate chiller. I went from 212 degrees to 82 in 7 mins. I think that may have helped also.

I would say yes on your 90 minute boil. Boiling longer allows a more malty profile to come out. I use this when brewing styles that focus on malt and not hops. Of course the 90 minute IPA bucks this theory ;)

Just finished brewing this recipe at 5 gallon size.

Used exact grain bill, held mash at 150 for 75min. Ended up getting 6.75gal @ 1.035 BG (75.1% mash efficiency per Beersmith)

Boiled per recipe for 60min with prescribed hop additions. Added 1 tab of whirlfloc at 15min left.

OG ended up at 1.040 (corrected). Looks like it should clear up nicely. The particulates were dropping out in the measurement tube.

Transferred 5gal into primary fermenter and pitched a small yeast starter of nottingham which I started last night (used 1pt of water with 1/2 cup of DME)

Ferment was done in 2 days. Just racked into secondary. FG = 1.008 on the dot. The uncarbed new beer tastes OUTSTANDING!

krzewinskibe said:
Ferment was done in 2 days. Just racked into secondary. FG = 1.008 on the dot. The uncarbed new beer tastes OUTSTANDING!

Two days???

Wow my pipeline is low and this recipe may be perfect for a quick keg.

krzewinskibe said:

Nice walk through. Sounds like your brew day went like clockwork. Will be brewing a 5 gal AG batch of this soon.

I just kegged this a few days back. It's the first time I've brewed a lighter beer. It sat in primary for 3 weeks. It was force carbed at 30PSI for 36 hours. Normally I don't touch a beer for at least 2 months, but I hooked up a picnic tap last night to check the carbonation and poured myself a glass.

It was good, but I got a distinct after taste. The first perception was a slight saltiness, but I realized it was actually residual bitterness. It wasn't unpleasant, just unexpected. I haven't had a lot of Blonde Ales so I'm not sure whether this is normal. This is the first time I've force carbed as well, so it may be due to that.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just young beer or CO2? Will the flavor mellow out over time?

I pulled a pint today and this is the best beer I have brewed to date. you can taste the hops but there is no bitter bite or after taste. If finishes very clean!!!

10 gallons brewed yesterday...notty is being a slow but looks to be picking up. I am going to try hop half of my recipe with .5 oz of each cascade and cent. Probably try to leave it in primary for two weeks with maybe the last 3-4 days being used for the dry hop, then off to kegs!

I just kegged my 3rd batch yesterday. It's Force carbing @ 30 PSI. I can't wait! This brew is my yeast mod with the 1056. I also used the Gelatin in the secondary. It cleared up more than any beer I've done to date. 2 days @ 30 psi then 4 more @ 8 psi.

I've also been shocked about how much better this craft brew tastes in the keg vs. the bottle. :fro: I've been told it's the temperature. I keep the kegs in the keezer & the bottles stored in the hot garage. Doh!?

I returned my 1st beer at a bar just last week. I've become a beer snob. :D My biggest issue is the freshness. If it ain't fresh, it goes back.

My next concoction is going the be a Raspberry Blond! :rockin:

Currently enjoying this. I made 15 gallons, and it turned out great. I used some repitched British Ale yeast, which made it benefit from a few extra weeks of conditioning in the keg, but now it's crystal clear, clean, and delicious. I've even been using it to make pizza crust and homemade mustard.
20120712_201506.jpg

I put my first batch of this into cold crash today. It dried out all the way to 1.006 using US-05, which is dryer than I wanted. Also, the hop presence is HUGE compared to what I was expecting. It feels roughly twice as hoppy as I had expected. It will be a very drinkable beer for me, but I'm afraid it may not be the all-over crowd pleaser it's meant to be in this case.

I think next time I brew it I will cut the 55m addition down by half.

Brewed this one up about a month ago and it's finally all carbed up and ready. One of the best beers I have brewed to date and I think could easily have any microbrews name on it. Really drinkable beer I'm just worried it won't last very long and dont know when I can get it brewed up next.

just bottled my batch...was pretty clear in the secondary. If you look carefully, you can see the siphon in the center of the carboy through the beer :)

secondary.jpg

Brewed this on 7/7 so its now been 10 days @ solid 68° in primary. I followed the original recipe to the T and mashed @ 150° to hit the 1.040 post boil SG perfectly. FG is down to 1.008 w/Notty. Tonight I added some gelatin and tossed it in the keezer to crash her down to about 42° in the next 24hrs to clear. All in all, a great first all grain effort and a smooth brew day. Thanks BM! :mug:

So here is where it gets strange. I've been drinking my hydrometer samples for the last 3 days and they all taste really... green? Its definitely a strange grass or plant like flavor that I've never experienced before. What makes this even more strange is that this has less hops than anything else I've ever brewed, so its not like I'm unfamiliar with hops. This IS my first all grain, so maybe its something in the flavor I'm not used to? Anyone else experienced this or know what I'm referring to?

Thanks all!

OcularTrauma said:
Brewed this on 7/7 so its now been 10 days @ solid 68° in primary. I followed the original recipe to the T and mashed @ 150° to hit the 1.040 post boil SG perfectly. FG is down to 1.008 w/Notty. Tonight I added some gelatin and tossed it in the keezer to crash her down to about 42° in the next 24hrs to clear. All in all, a great first all grain effort and a smooth brew day. Thanks BM! :mug:

So here is where it gets strange. I've been drinking my hydrometer samples for the last 3 days and they all taste really... green? Its definitely a strange grass or plant like flavor that I've never experienced before. What makes this even more strange is that this has less hops than anything else I've ever brewed, so its not like I'm unfamiliar with hops. This IS my first all grain, so maybe its something in the flavor I'm not used to? Anyone else experienced this or know what I'm referring to?

Thanks all!

Yes. Give it 2 to 3 weeks in the keg - both my batches took 3 wks. It will taste bit green til then.

I tried but I couldn't wait. Tried a sample.............................. it's as good as I remember it! ;) THIS is the reason I like beer so much. It's amazing! I can't just have this exclusively, variety is the spice of life, I'll spoil myself & forget how good this really is if I don't drink other stuff.

After a few glasses :drunk: I had to stop myself. I want this keg to last a little longer than the last. Drink some Kolsch, I like Kolsch.

I'm interested in JTKRATZER's & BoostedF150's feedback having brewed using the Knotty & 1056 side by side!? I went to my 1st Brew Club meeting & was floored that folks drink inferior beer & think it's good.

P.S. BierMuncher for President!

Currently enjoying this. I made 15 gallons, and it turned out great. I used some repitched British Ale yeast, which made it benefit from a few extra weeks of conditioning in the keg, but now it's crystal clear, clean, and delicious. I've even been using it to make pizza crust and homemade mustard.
20120712_201506.jpg

Do you filter, cold crash, or use gelatin to get it that clear. Mine has been in the keg a week and a half. Its getting clearer everyday.

I just left it in the carboy for two weeks, then kegged and stored in the temp-controlled freezer for another few weeks. It cleared up fast. I may have to do another 15 gallons in August. ;)

Brewed this with 1056, I cut the grain bill down for my system's eff. just slightly and my SG was 1.038, so I slightly undershot and didn't feel like boiling anymore, for goodness sake it was 102 outside as it was. I know it is light and made to drink young but I let it ferment for 3 weeks in the primary, didn't secondary it, it's kegged now 'set and forget' carbing/aging for the next 2-3 weeks but I'm grabbing a glass every other night and it is just fantastic right now (obviously not carb'd enough only after 5 or so days on the gas but still). I didn't finish as dry 1.009 as I may have with notty but the current taste/mouthfeel is incredible. I'm not one for braggin' on brews too much (I let others brag for me after they taste) but in this case I have to say, wow, this recipe is just very worthy. Everyone who loves beer should brew this :)

Yes. Give it 2 to 3 weeks in the keg - both my batches took 3 wks. It will taste bit green til then.
Awesome, thanks H! I know better than to get wrapped around the axle about stuff like this. I know ageing helps pretty much everything, this is probably no exception. 10 days grain to glass is pretty optimistic ;)

Just brewed up 5 gallons of this recipe and so far it is 2 days into fermentation in my ferm chamber. Looking good and cannot wait to try it in 5 weeks. Going to keep it in the primary for 3 and then keg it for 2 with the set it and forget it method for carbination.

this beer is absolutely fantastic!

i changed the hop schedule to all centennial, decreased the crystal, and upped the vienna.

i will definitely need to make 10 gallons of this in the near future.

I love this beer too (or at least I think I will). Just bottled it up after a two week soak in my basement, just burbling along in the 65 degree air. it's sublime, and I'm anxious to quaff a few.

BTW, I intend to give about half of it away, so I decided to make a label to put on the bottle. Since I'm giving it to family with kids, I had to tone down the raciness of the pin up girl, but it still has the same spirit.

milesOToole_fullsize_A8ABADE1-1231-3802-084EE6F1C0DF7640.png

Just brewed this. I upped the grain bill proportionally as well as the hops (to match) and ended up with a 1.066 OG version. Can't wait to try it in three weeks.

I split this into 2 batches. Used the Notty.

Did 1/2 straight up and 1/2 I secondaried on top of 3lbs of blackberries for 1 week. I'm not a big fruit beer fan, but the 'Blackberry Blonde' came out really good. A little dry, but with a good mix of sour and bitter. Kind of reminds be of a Lambic. Very refreshing.

I'll definitely use this for a base for fruit in the future.

Latest posts

Back